Etiquette Question... Holiday Gifts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Here's a question of minimal import. Since we dont have laundry facilities in our house, we have utilized a laundry delivery service. On Saturdays, we call the laundromat, the nice lady behind the phone dispatches Carlos, who picks up our laundry bag and returns it when the laundry has been washed and folded. Its a little on the expensive side, but its more than worth it in my opinion. When Carlos makes the drop, I add a couple bucks to the check (yes they accept personal checks, how cool is that?) and I assume that Carlos sees that money by way of tip, or it goes into a tip pool (which I'd also be ok with).

Carlos is not only prompt and efficient, he is also a nice guy. I mentioned that when he left this Saturday to my wife. She agreed and replied "we should give him something when the holidays come around".

I agreed.

So let me ask you this. How much do you think would be appropriate? Should I give something only to him or somehow figure out a way to gift all the people that make sure I have clean socks in a prompt manner? This being nice stuff is more complicated than I would have thought...

Only to him. If he decides to share it that's great, but he's the one doing the delivery.

I say give him $50. That would blow my mind.

Money in a card or does that cross the line from appreciative client to most likely stalking? I can always do the ole "money in a cylinder handshake exchange".

I am probably the perfect person to answer: I am a milk man by night. sometimes I get the occasional tip a couple dollars and I cant tell you what that means to me! however at the end of the year (dec) I hand out christmas cards with my family pic on it. I get about 2000.00 from customers. not everyone tips, but out of the 750 weekly customers about 15 percent tip and the tips range from 20.00 to 100.00 with an average of 40.00

I've been doing it for 10 years, when I firs started my co-workers said you'll love chrismas tips! I thought ya right. this has to be a joke, but I have never made less than 1400.00 in cash and lots of gifts and candy to go with it. Carlos will love the cash. throw him a 5 spot from time to time with a 20.00 at christmas/ he'll remember you and probally give you chocolate milk from time to time, oh woops I forgot wrong profession! lol

When I did lawn care, people would hand me cash or add it to the check and say, "Merry Christmas". Or the customers I almost never saw in person would add a little extra when they sent the payment. Five to fifty bucks. Ten or twenty mostly. But a few of my wealthier customers would tip nearly a month's worth.

I also got booze and homemade treats from the lil' ol' ladies.

Now when I did various food delivery, I got joints or smoked out a few times.

I recomend handing the person an envelope in person or setting it where they can see it. attatched to the bag of clothing to be laundered, and write "Carlos" or "Delivery Person" on the envelope. It is kind of weird. I had customers that would always pay thier bill by mail or phone, but every dec around tip time they would leave a check written to the company for exactly 20.00. WTH is this for me or your bill??? I submitted it towards thier bill.

Also mailing in extra could cuase a mixup as with adding extra to the check. I appreciate a cash tip above anything!:)

How 'bout a six-pack (or a case) -- that way he can share it or keep it -- his choice?

he/she might not drink. but you can try it! People leave weird stuff in thier milk boxes and we have to ask "is this for me?" One driver had some playoff tickets to the Jazz Vs Chicago Bulls He took them and the customer called in and complained that the driver stole hit 300.00 tickets!

Dont leave things in thier that you dont want taken as a gift bone head!

One of the most memeroble gifts was homemade wasil if I spelled it right. It was a the firs time I experienced it and will never forget it. Alot of my co-workers complain about homemade gifts, But I never look a gift horse in the mouth! appreciate thier hard work and thoughtfulness above all else!

I agree with many others, either a card, or just an envelope, addressed to him specifically, with whatever tip you feel is appropriate inside.

Back