Ethyl acetate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigmn

Reaction score
When I opened a better bottle of a golden sour with guava in it I thought I smelled some nail polish remover smells, I went ahead and punched down the fruit and then took a wine thief sample and put it into a glass then took a sample of a brown sour I made.

I came back and smelled and tasted the golden sour and the smell wasn't there and the beer was very sour, but I didn't get any chemical or astringent type flavors.

Is it possible that it is ethyl acetate and it just wasn't as noticeable after sitting for 5 minutes? Should I just hold onto this beer to see where it goes after another month or so? Or is it likely to be a dumper?

This beer is too sour by itself so it would be used for blending stock regardless, so if it needs to be dumped then I'll just dump it. Thanks for any guidance.

And the brown sour is delicious

So, update for everyone since there was so much interest, opened this beers predecessor that has been in the bottle for a solid year now. Ethyl acetate and sour as balls.

Good news, my wife can remove her toenail polish. Bad news, I am marking down my first complete failure

Until next time sports fans

It was a sponteously fermented beer on the first beer then repitched for this, so just something in the Oklahoma air

Latest posts

Back