Estimating fermentation timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
There's an old joke where someone is on an unfamiliar bus and asks a fellow passenger if he knows where he needs to get off. The other passenger says, "Easy. Just watch where I get off. Your stop is two stops before that."

Whether it be dry hopping, adjunct additions, or whatever, we are frequently instructed to time something to " two days before fermentation ends" or something similar.

I'm currently fermenting a pale ale with Hornindal Kviek. 40 hours after pitching, I've already gone from 1.05 to 1.03. So, it's obviously not going to take 2 weeks to reach terminal gravity.

So, my question is, "Has anybody ever come across a tool that would help to extrapolate when terminal gravity might be reached by using an intermediate gravity reading?"

There's an old joke where someone is on an unfamiliar bus and asks a fellow passenger if he knows where he needs to get off. The other passenger says, "Easy. Just watch where I get off. Your stop is two stops before that."

Whether it be dry hopping, adjunct additions, or whatever, we are frequently instructed to time something to " two days before fermentation ends" or something similar.

I'm currently fermenting a pale ale with Hornindal Kviek. 40 hours after pitching, I've already gone from 1.05 to 1.03. So, it's obviously not going to take 2 weeks to reach terminal gravity.

So, my question is, "Has anybody ever come across a tool that would help to extrapolate when terminal gravity might be reached by using an intermediate gravity reading?"
So each fermentation is different with timing but it’s typically 3-5 days to hit final but it can take longer. so If you want to dryhop while it’s slowing down it’s always safe to throw your dryhops in after you hit 1.025 or earlier. It really only needed with a few point left to scrub o2

Latest posts

Back