Estimating Extract on Home Made Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Island Brewer

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking it should be this simple?

Measured out 100 ml of home made syrup, put it on the scale, and minus the tare it weighed 142 grams. Thus the extract potential is 1.042.

If I'm wrong, tell me why.

If 100 ml weighs 142 grams then the specific gravity is 1.420 (ignoring any thermal expansion effects.) But that's still not the potential of the syrup.

Weigh
out 1 oz (1/16 lb, not 1 fl oz) of syrup and mix with with enough water to create exactly 1 cup (1/16 gal) of solution. Now measure the specific gravity of your solution. That is the "potential" of your syrup.

Brew on :mug:

If 100 ml weighs 142 grams then the specific gravity is 1.420 (ignoring any thermal expansion effects.) But that's still not the potential of the syrup.

Weigh
out 1 oz (1/16 lb, not 1 fl oz) of syrup and mix with with enough water to create exactly 1 cup (1/16 gal) of solution. Now measure the specific gravity of your solution. That is the "potential" of your syrup.

Thanks, Doug. That one I knew, but I got to thinking that part of the reason that ppg/pp works is because of the units - 16 ounces in a pound, 16 cups in a gallon, how much more does that gallon weigh when it has a higher density solution added to it. The metric system seems equally suited for weight/volume comparisons, but I just wondered if it could be as simple as measuring the solution by volume and then extrapolating. So, if it's true that the specific gravity is 1.420, and I dilute it by 10 times (add my 100ml to 1L) the gravity should be 1.042.

I'll test that out, I think I have just enough dark amber syrup to test it...

This is not relevant to your homemade syrup, but D-90 candi syrup is generally assigned 32 extraction points.

I wonder what D-90's density is when measured at full strength?

Thanks, Doug. That one I knew, but I got to thinking that part of the reason that ppg/pp works is because of the units - 16 ounces in a pound, 16 cups in a gallon, how much more does that gallon weigh when it has a higher density solution added to it. The metric system seems equally suited for weight/volume comparisons, but I just wondered if it could be as simple as measuring the solution by volume and then extrapolating. So, if it's true that the specific gravity is 1.420, and I dilute it by 10 times (add my 100ml to 1L) the gravity should be 1.042.

I'll test that out, I think I have just enough dark amber syrup to test it...
SG-1 is almost linear with sugar concentration at low concentrations, which is why we can use points rather than actual concentrations in our calculations. However, the more concentrated the solution, the greater the deviation from linearity. I have no idea how much the deviation is at an SG of 1.42, since that is way more concentrated than the data in the plato tables.

Back