ESB tastes like my mash tun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arg1129

Reaction score
I did the ESB from BCS with a SG of 1.056 and FG of 1.014. My it is still young an only off the fermenter and in the keg for a week but it literally tastes as the tun smelled after I sparged?

Is that flavor one that falls out with conditioning or is that the flavor I am stuck with on this beer?

Arg1129 said:
I did the ESB from BCS with a SG of 1.056 and FG of 1.014. My it is still young an only off the fermenter and in the keg for a week but it literally tastes as the tun smelled after I sparged?

Is that flavor one that falls out with conditioning or is that the flavor I am stuck with on this beer?

Do you mean it smells like mashed grain or plastic?

If former then yes, it should condition out, if latter then it's an off flavor that may not go away.

http://www.beerjudgeschool.com/uploads/Beer_Characteristics_Flash_Cards.pdf

Sorry I should have been a bit more descriptive.

It is the grainy flavor. I have noticed it mellowing slightly each day so I will let it cold condition for a couple weeks more. It was te first time I tried to "adjust" my water so maybe I messed with ph beyond what I expected. Maybe jumped into the water aspect before I was ready.

Thank you for the link to those cards they are going to be printed so I can try to identify any of my off favors in the future.

Latest posts

Back