Equipment Cleaning Rag/Cloth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMassBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know NB has a brew rag for sale on their website but was wondering if anyone has a go-to cleaning rag other than their box of old t-shirts in the garage. Looking for something durable that dries fast without collecting too much bacteria.

I'm one: tired of using my box of old t-shirts and two: tired of using wasteful paper towels.

Maybe NB is the only one offering a cleaning rag catered toward homebrew cleaning ??

Cheers

Are these the $8 + S&H degradable sponge/cloths? Pass.

A soft sponge is useful. Scrubby-backed sponges much more so. I have both on my brewery sink, but I also have a dozen or so cheap "used-to-be-white" cotton shop towels, and typically will use 2 or 3 of them in a brew day then toss them in the laundry. I think I paid $12 for the dozen maybe 15 years ago...

Cheers!

I'm not sure why you'd need anything more than a soft sponge.

Are these the $8 + S&H degradable sponge/cloths? Pass.

A soft sponge is useful. Scrubby-backed sponges much more so. I have both on my brewery sink, but I also have a dozen or so cheap "used-to-be-white" cotton shop towels, and typically will use 2 or 3 of them in a brew day then toss them in the laundry. I think I paid $12 for the dozen maybe 15 years ago...

Cheers!

-Yeah probably not, but am just wondering.

-And yes, they are the 8$ ones. I feel the same way about sponges; don't like them. I guess I'll just go with some shop towels. But I probably will try the NB brew rag.

Thanks fellas !

I know NB has a brew rag for sale on their website but was wondering if anyone has a go-to cleaning rag other than their box of old t-shirts in the garage. Looking for something durable that dries fast without collecting too much bacteria.

I'm one: tired of using my box of old t-shirts and two: tired of using wasteful paper towels.

Maybe NB is the only one offering a cleaning rag catered toward homebrew cleaning ??

Cheers
overthinking . I dont scrub with anything more than a soft sponge , spray it down with star san and turn it upside down to dry. Yeah , i know its wasting star san...

8 bucks for a cleaning rag? I got to see that! :tank:
cheap "used-to-be-white" cotton shop towels, and typically will use 2 or 3 of them in a brew day then toss them in the laundry.
Same here. They're the right size and have decent absorbance. Rinsed, washed, or laundered. As good as new.
I also use smaller, thinner versions to mop Starsan around. There are always 4 or 5 swimming in the Starsan bucket. The wife got a whole sleeve of them, from the dollar store probably. Now Starsan does seem to degrade them, over time.

I'm not much a sponge fan, they're big bug traps, IMO. They really can't be washed or boiled to any sanitary standard. But love using brushes and abrasive non-scratching scrub pads. The pads stick to brushes, giving them a nice handle.

Back