Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goofynewfie said:
$1m/year too much. Hes a great player, but not in the same category as perry, weber, giroux, etc. He is one of the better goal scorers in the league, but needs to become a better 2 way player

Any other team would have paid him the same, if not more. Anyway not my money so I don't give a **** - but sure is nice to have a point-a-game guy commit to this team.

Guy turns 26 today. In his ****ing prime, too.

By far the biggest no brainer signing the leafs have made, funny to hear the haters make excuses as to why it's a bad move.

I just think they probably should have gotten him for less. its a signing they had to make though cause if they let him go they might as well have started to rebuild all over again.
I just look at all the other players who have a cap hit in the same range as him and they are all excellent two way players and the majority of them are captain or alternate captains. if he improves his defensive game then it will be fair value IMO

I just think they probably should have gotten him for less. its a signing they had to make though cause if they let him go they might as well have started to rebuild all over again.
I just look at all the other players who have a cap hit in the same range as him and they are all excellent two way players and the majority of them are captain or alternate captains. if he improves his defensive game then it will be fair value IMO

It would appear that the team is quite happy with what they've got in Phil Kessel already, given that they felt he's worth a $64,000,000 pay check.

His "Two-Way" game has improved dramatically since Carlyle came on the scene - which is more a reflection of the coach's desires than the player. It's not like he's skating around like a retard waiting for passes at the blue line.

Kessel is there to score goals and play 82 games. He's not there to block shots, win a selke trophy, or play with physicality and risk injury. He's doing exactly what's wanted and expected of him.

It would appear that the team is quite happy with what they've got in Phil Kessel already, given that they felt he's worth a $64,000,000 pay check.

His "Two-Way" game has improved dramatically since Carlyle came on the scene - which is more a reflection of the coach's desires than the player. It's not like he's skating around like a retard waiting for passes at the blue line.

Kessel is there to score goals and play 82 games. He's not there to block shots, win a selke trophy, or play with physicality and risk injury. He's doing exactly what's wanted and expected of him.

I think a lot of people feel like kessel could be one of the greats, not just a goal scorer, but a well rounded 2-way player, he certainly has the ability, just not so sure he has the desire.

I agree that he had improved drastically, and he does get in there and help out, but it's still only a half hearted effort.

That said, I think he's well worth the money.

I'm not disagreeing with why he is there or almost anything that you say. I am just looking at all the other players who make that much money and some of them score just as many goals as he does and play a 2 way game. he has become a better all around player in the last couple years, but has he had a 40 goal season yet? Eberle scored 37(?) and he makes $6m. He makes more than Stamkos and it's hard to argue who's the better goal scorer of those too. I'm just saying comparatively that's higher than I would have thought.

I'm not disagreeing with why he is there or almost anything that you say. I am just looking at all the other players who make that much money and some of them score just as many goals as he does and play a 2 way game. he has become a better all around player in the last couple years, but has he had a 40 goal season yet? Eberle scored 37(?) and he makes $6m. He makes more than Stamkos and it's hard to argue who's the better goal scorer of those too. I'm just saying comparatively that's higher than I would have thought.

You are comparing players signed on RFA extensions to one signed as an impending UFA. Please understand the conditions of the CBA and how they impact player contracts before talking about what contract a player has.

In the past 3 seasons, 2 players have scored more goals than Phil the Thrill. He would have gotten $8M or more from any other team in the league - this is a guy you pay, and pay well. You do not let him go under any circumstance.

So I was at the Hawks game last night and was treated to this beautiful sight:

How could more "experts" not have the Hawks winning it all again this year? They only lost two players, and they were not any of the top level guys. Just sayin'...

Last edited by a moderator:
Screw it, I got NHL Gamecenter. The first thing I see is Philly making Toronto look pathetic. HIgh-larious.

High-larious indeed. Oh wait...

Yeah the Leafs seemed sluggish but they were playing in the 4th different city in 5 days... it was entirely to be expected with such a ridiculous schedule - by anyone with half a brain, anyways. And yet the Leafs still managed to pull off a 3-1 win.

Screw it, I got NHL Gamecenter. The first thing I see is Philly making Toronto look pathetic. HIgh-larious.

Whoops. Leafs came out gross, but silly schedule will do that to you.
Solid defensive game from Bolland sees him rewarded with 2 3rd period goals.
Solid penalty killing by McClement yet AGAIN...
Bernier basically stole 2 points right there in the 1st period. When he stopped Simmonds you knew it was over.
and yes, a great all-around game by Dion Phaneuf - 26+ minutes of solid hockey.
Did Kessel score last night?

IUe4VHA.jpg

Looks like good goaltending is a little more important that Philly thinks it is. Emery and Mason?
kessel-laugh-o.gif

So I was at the Hawks game last night and was treated to this beautiful sight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KJOLzdoes

How could more "experts" not have the Hawks winning it all again this year? They only lost two players, and they were not any of the top level guys. Just sayin'...

I don't know. I think they have as much chance as any other team in the league. Barring injury.

Got home with some stuff to make nachos. Started browning the beef and called my buddy who asked what channel the Wings were on. Then I found out that I didn't get NBCSP since I downgraded the Dish! FME!

Only one game, but why did it have to be the season opener?

Oh well, the nachos were still good.

Got home with some stuff to make nachos. Started browning the beef and called my buddy who asked what channel the Wings were on. Then I found out that I didn't get NBCSP since I downgraded the Dish! FME!

Bummer man. Wasn't a half bad game, I guess. I'm a Buffalo fan, so I wasn't thrilled with the outcome. Sabres came out kind of listless, but picked up their game in the third. 0 for 7 (maybe 8?) on the powerplay....holy crap, not gonna win a lot of games like that. Miller let in 2 back to back goals, but ended up with 32+ saves, and stopped a penalty shot. My expectations for the season are pretty low, so I was just glad to see them hang in there.

Wings looked a little off-kilter, it was a parade to the penalty box. To be expected in the first few games. 2 penalties for Zetterberg! I don't know if that's ever happened.

Bummer man. Wasn't a half bad game, I guess. I'm a Buffalo fan, so I wasn't thrilled with the outcome. Sabres came out kind of listless, but picked up their game in the third. 0 for 7 (maybe 8?) on the powerplay....holy crap, not gonna win a lot of games like that. Miller let in 2 back to back goals, but ended up with 32+ saves, and stopped a penalty shot. My expectations for the season are pretty low, so I was just glad to see them hang in there.

Wings looked a little off-kilter, it was a parade to the penalty box. To be expected in the first few games. 2 penalties for Zetterberg! I don't know if that's ever happened.

Last year the Wings struggled with the PP, but did very well with the PK. I'm hoping that's not the trend again this year. They got a lot of young guys and I expect a few penalties as they work out the system and get used to each other, but yeah, Z in the box is a rarity.

I'll be stoked if/when Helm can come back into the lineup. I love his speed and it really changes the way the Wings play. I really wanted to take a good look at the new guys in a real game. They play Calgary on Friday. If the MIL lets me have control of her TV and she gets FSD channel, I'll get to see them then. Otherwise I might be forced to go to a sports bar and drink some Two Hearted while I watch.

Otherwise I might be forced to go to a sports bar and drink some Two Hearted while I watch.

Funny you mention it, I'll be trying Two Hearted for the very first time tonight. Got a sixer in the mail via a trade with a fellow HBT'er yesterday. I put 'em in the fridge and will be enjoying a few during the Sharks (my other favorite team) season opener tonight.

Funny you mention it, I'll be trying Two Hearted for the very first time tonight. Got a sixer in the mail via a trade with a fellow HBT'er yesterday. I put 'em in the fridge and will be enjoying a few during the Sharks (my other favorite team) season opener tonight.

Unfortunately for you the Sharks will get destroyed by my all mighty Nucks.....I kid of course but should be a good game.

Unfortunately for you the Sharks will get destroyed by my all mighty Nucks.....I kid of course but should be a good game.

Yes it will. Last night on Comcast Sportsnet-CA they replayed a Sharks/Nucks playoff game from last year. It was a nice way to wash away the disappointment from the Sabres game.

SO far, NHL Gamecenter Live is crap, if you are trying to watch it on a ps3. The dumbasses gave Sony the wrong app, therefore it won't even start. I called tech and they said they would have it fixed by Saturday. If not, I'm cancelling it.

Excellent comeback by the Caps tonight. It's not every day you can convert 0-3/1-4 into a win. They're pretty dangerous on the powerplay.

And Grabovski is trying his damnedest to make Toronto look foolish for buying him out...

Excellent comeback by the Caps tonight. It's not every day you can convert 0-3/1-4 into a win. They're pretty dangerous on the powerplay.

And Grabovski is trying his damnedest to make Toronto look foolish for buying him out...

Didn't the caps lose Tuesday night? ;)

Didn't the caps lose Tuesday night? ;)

Of course. To a team that's pretty much as far on the opposite side of the spectrum as possible too, considering Calgary is widely believed to be the worst team in the league this year. Though I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the Hawks will lose a game at some point this season too.

I'm not exactly a fan of the Caps OR the Flames, but watched most of the game and couldn't help but note a team that came back from being so far behind.

Schneider seems like a potential bust for NJ so far.

Haha...yeah totally. He lost a game. Ridiculous. Write him off.

Come on man.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 50% of all starting NHL goalies will lose on opening night.

Haha...yeah totally. He lost a game. Ridiculous. Write him off.

Come on man.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 50% of all starting NHL goalies will lose on opening night.

If he had looked like he'd improve with time then I wouldn't have that impression. NJ out of playoff contention. Calling it now.

Looks like those Wings ran into a Reality Check in Boston ;)

That Chara goal was a thing of beauty!

Sox rocked the Rays so it was a fine sports night in New England!

Cheers!

I told my buddy, who is a wings fan, that Boston would manhandle them. He laughed. lol

The B's did manhandle them, but the Wings played 3 games in 4 nights. I guess that's not very obnoxious.

How's this, B's won again, Redsox won again and the Pats win will again. Suck it!!!!

Toronto with win #3 to remain at the top of the league.

Their defense really needs work though. Bernier is playing like a machine but he can't keep bailing out the team.

Cancelled gamecenter live. Ps3 app doesn't work, android app crashes, and the only way you can cancel is to call Neulion directly. All in all, a pretty shoddy product, despite the price. Would not bang.

Looks like Edmonton is well on their way to another top draft pick. Great rebuilding strategy, I'm told.
When will they realize you need NHL quality goaltending to compete in the NHL? C'mon MacT - get it done.

Latest posts

Back