Epoxy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVZ

Reaction score
I recently found a 2'x2' chess board at a lawn sale and want to turn it into a pub table by pouring some 2 part epoxy on it. I plan on using a temporary frame to surround the playing surface to contain the epoxy while it cures and remove it after it is done. My issue is that I am unsure how to keep the epoxy from sticking to the frame. I was thinking of using wax paper to line the contact areas with, but was hoping someone here could either confirm that this will work, or suggest something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wax paper is pretty good and easy to use. However, depending on your resin and how thick you pour it, it could generate some serious heat, which can cause some release problems, leaving stuck bits of paper. Also, if you're going to be removing your "form" than I assume you're going to be seeing the vertical edges of the epoxy. Wax paper leaves a very rough looking finish on epoxy. You can use Satan wrap stretched over your "form" pieces, or use Plexiglas or melamine coated with car wax.

Thanks for the input guys. The plastic wrap suggestion got me thinking about clear packaging tape. After searching some more on the net, I found that several people have used it successfully. Plus it is a lot easier to work with than the plastic wrap. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used caulk for mine and it worked well. It filled the gaps which was needed anyway so it wouldn't leak and the boards came off clean and I just peeled off the caulk when I was done. Be careful to smooth it out and don't have any ridges on the bottom because the epoxy will show all of it.

You can use Satan wrap stretched over your "form" pieces, or use Plexiglas or melamine coated with car wax.

I'm curious where I can go to get some of this Satan wrap... what otherworldy powers does it have, other than epoxy release? Can I summon the dead to help with my brew days? :ban:

Latest posts

Back