Enjoy By-inspired DIPA way off in SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edin88

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a brew inspired by this: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/04/ipa-clone-series-stone-enjoy-by-ipa.html

My grain bill was 9 lbs of Maris Otter, 9 lbs of Rahr pale 2-row and 1 lb of Carapils

The wort going into the kettle was probably 4-8 SRM.

Now, 3 weeks after fermentation and nearly 3 weeks bottle conditioning, the beer is carbonated, delicious, AND DARK AS HELL. It looks like the SRM is anywhere from 16-24.

I did a 60 minute boil and ended up with about 6 gallons, which is what i aimed for because I ended up losing A LOT to trub and hop matter.

My friend says it could be chill haze but chill haze makes a beer cloudy and murky, it can't make it so much darker can it?

possible explanations? experience with this? most importantly, will it go away?!

My friend says it could be chill haze but chill haze makes a beer cloudy and murky, it can't make it so much darker can it?

possible explanations? experience with this? most importantly, will it go away?![/QUOTE]

have you tried adding bleach :p

ive not heard of chill haze making a beer DARKER. but as usual im not always right, im just never wrong. i say F**k it arogant badstard was a mistake. if it tastes great see if you can replicate it and make it your own :).

Back