English style black wheat double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sptaylor70

Reaction score

So here's something that I'm thinking about brewing in the next few weeks. I'd appreciate any critique or suggestions.

Volume 2.8 gal.
Brewing method BIAB mash/remash

Grain
3 lbs. Pale 2-row
3 lbs. Munich
2 lbs. Wheat
4 oz. Carapils
2 oz. Crystal 40L
2 oz. Crystal 80L
2 oz. Crystal 120L
4 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Special B

Hops
0.5 oz. Bullion (FWH)
0.3 oz. Brewer's Gold (60 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (40 min.)
0.3 oz. Brewer's Gold (20 min.)
0.4 oz. Brewer's Gold (1 min.)
0.5 oz. Bullion (dry hop)

Yeast

English ale yeast. Either S-04 (Whitbread) or Wyeast 1469 (Timothy Taylor)

OG 1085
FG 1021
ABV 8.3
IBU 62
SRM 29

I'm not the style police--make what you like--but this looks to me like an English barleywine much more than an IPA. 1.021 is a high FG for any IPA, and with the 8 oz of crystal plus the munich as part of your base malt, I imagine you're going to get some serious residual sweetness, plus a thick body (carapils, wheat, crystals). I also think your hops, especially aroma/dry additions, are low for an IPA style with such a high OG.

I may just not know the style or model beer you're going for, but assuming you want a dark IPA with some wheat and an English flavor profile, I would:

*substitute 6lbs Maris Otter for the pale 2-row and Munich
*eliminate the special B and crystal 120L
*consider reducing the carapils (somewhat redundant with wheat anyway for body/head retention)
*for dark color, use debittered black rather than chocolate, which is roasty and probably not what you want
*increase the hop amounts, especially at knockout and dry hop (consider using some Goldings for the dry hop for a classic English profile)

But it's probably helpful to let us know what you are envisioning for this beer.

If you use the 1469 definitely fit a blowoff tube... I used it for a Tim Taylor's Landlord clone and it crawled out of the fermenter and attacked my spare room. Seemed unusually vigorous.

Looks like a barleywine to me too.

Edited to, say, actually pay attention to what you said.

Y'all are right - When I change the style tab on Tastybrew from IPA to English Barleywine, everything lines up right in the middle (except color).

I've found few IPAs that I like. My local brewpub has a black IPA that I like, and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and DFH 90-minute. I'm aiming for something roasty with significant fruitiness (more dark and stone than citrus). So the Munich and Special B are to add not only color but fruit.

So revised to be more double-IPA-like:

Grain
4 lbs. Pale 2-row
1 lbs. Vienna*
2 lbs. Midnight Dark Wheat
3 oz. Crystal 40L
3 oz. Crystal 80L
3 oz. Carafa special

*I find that adding Vienna to 2-row does a fair job of impersonating Maris Otter. And I already own a 50 lb. sack of 2-row.

Hops
0.5 oz. Bullion (FWH)
0.4 oz. Brewer's Gold (60 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (40 min.)
0.4 oz. Brewer's Gold (20 min.)
1 oz. Brewer's Gold (1 min.)
1 oz. Goldings (dry hop)

Yeast
English ale yeast. Either S-04 (Whitbread) or Wyeast 1469 (Timothy Taylor)*

*I've used 1469 a couple of times, and you're not kidding about its vigor. Fortunately, I use a blow off for everything. The choice of yeast will depend on the weather at the time. When it gets hot, in about a month, my LHBS's supply of liquid yeast will often arrive warm.

OG 1073
FG 1018
ABV 7.1
IBU 67
SRM 19

Back