English Mild, Sorta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
Hey guys. Here is what I am drinking:

11 Gallon Batch
79% total efficiency
OG 1.042
FG 1.009
Yeast 001
24 IBU

Single infusion at 156 for 60 minutes.
10 Minute mashout at 168.
Fly sparged

12# Maris Otter
3# Crystal 60
14oz Chocolate

2.5oz Mt Hood [4.9%] @ 60 Minutes (23 IBU)
1oz Mt Hood [4.9%] @ 1 Minute (.4 IBU)
1oz Santiam [6.6%] @ 1 Minute (.5 IBU)

Pure o2 injection at 1lpm for a couple minutes. Fermented at 65 degrees F. Kegged and force carbonated to 2.3 vol.

There is just something lacking about this beer. I am going to brew it again tomorrow but I can't put my finger on what to change. I think it needs more body. I was thinking about dropping a pound of maris and subbing with another pound of c60. Or maybe some c120? I have both (by the sack so no shortage...). The chocolate is nice but maybe a smidge too much. I also have some brown malt and roasted barley. I don't want to turn it into a stout. It is nice and dark but you can still see through it when the light shines just right.

I have my starter just wrapping up right now. Should have about 500 billion cells of wlp001. I am pitching this at 1 mil/ml/*P.

Maybe some biscuit, or victory and a bit more of a crystal malt. If all you want is body you could use some maltodextrine too

I have either victory or biscuit. I can't remember. I'll add some of that. I don't have a lhbs so things that aren't in my "grain room", aka living room, are out.

I'm pretty sure I have some caraaroma. Would that work here? I haven't played with that malt at all.

A little biscuit is a good idea, should add some depth. Like you said, I would drop the chocolate a bit. Since you are limited on ingredients you could just add some oats for a creamier mouthfeel.

If you have 002/1968 available it might finish a little higher and add some nice esters.

Going to keg tonight. Been in primary for 9 days. I had a lazy fermentation and I don't know why. I'll get back to you with first impressions in two days.

Hey guys. Here is what I am drinking:

11 Gallon Batch
79% total efficiency
OG 1.042
FG 1.009
Yeast 001
24 IBU

Single infusion at 156 for 60 minutes.
10 Minute mashout at 168.
Fly sparged

12# Maris Otter
3# Crystal 60
14oz Chocolate

2.5oz Mt Hood [4.9%] @ 60 Minutes (23 IBU)
1oz Mt Hood [4.9%] @ 1 Minute (.4 IBU)
1oz Santiam [6.6%] @ 1 Minute (.5 IBU)

Pure o2 injection at 1lpm for a couple minutes. Fermented at 65 degrees F. Kegged and force carbonated to 2.3 vol.

There is just something lacking about this beer. I am going to brew it again tomorrow but I can't put my finger on what to change. I think it needs more body. I was thinking about dropping a pound of maris and subbing with another pound of c60. Or maybe some c120? I have both (by the sack so no shortage...). The chocolate is nice but maybe a smidge too much. I also have some brown malt and roasted barley. I don't want to turn it into a stout. It is nice and dark but you can still see through it when the light shines just right.

I have my starter just wrapping up right now. Should have about 500 billion cells of wlp001. I am pitching this at 1 mil/ml/*P.

My recipe came from cleaning out my grain bin initially , But this may be the recipe I continue to use:

Two row- 2 pounds
Canadian Pale malt 2.5 pounds
Special Roast (50) 1 pound
Crystal (40) 1 pound
Chocolate Wheat Malt 0.5 pounds
Brown Malt 0.38 pounds
Black Barley 0.20 pounds added at sparge

Mashed at 154* F, 60 minutes and for a reason I can't remember, I used almost 8 gallons w/sparge, boiled down to 4.5 gallons. Added 1 liter starter, using Irish Ale 1084. Waited until fermentation was apparent, (12 or so hours) then fermented @55*F from 05/21/2014 to 06/11/2014.
Very crisp, malty up front. I have been drinking one every three or four days, and I am very glad I have what we call, "...a happy accident.."

How's it taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is great. I am going to bump up the biscuit a bit next time and then go back to my original amount of chocolate. This is a great year round session beer. The Cal ale got a little carried away and finished at 1.009. Even with the high mash temp. I'll probably bump up the mash to 157 and see how that works.

Here is a picture tonight:

Been a while since I updated this but I have my recipe set now. Here it is:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 16.58 gal
Post Boil Volume: 15.08 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 14.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 13.50 gal
Estimated OG: 10.492 Plato
Estimated Color: 22.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
14 lbs                Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)            Grain         1        69.1 %        
3 lbs 12.0 oz         Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain         2        18.5 %        
1 lbs 4.0 oz          Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                  Grain         3        6.2 %         
1 lbs 4.0 oz          Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)               Grain         4        6.2 %         
3.25 oz               Mt. Hood [4.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5        23.4 IBUs     
1.25 oz               Mt. Hood [4.90 %] - Boil 1.0 min         Hop           6        0.4 IBUs      
1.25 oz               Santiam [6.60 %] - Boil 1.0 min          Hop           7        0.5 IBUs      

Yeast is WLP001. Mash at 160.

My observed OG is 10ºP and FG is 3.5ºP. Pitched yeast at .75mil/ml/ºP.

... Kegged and force carbonated to 2.3 vol.

There is just something lacking about this beer. I am going to brew it again tomorrow but I can't put my finger on what to change.

To me it sounds like this beer might be over-carbed. 2.3 vols is too high for a mild, as it's a subtle beer meant to served on cask. 1.0-1.5 vols is the typical range. The body should be much fuller and rounder at 1.3 vols CO2 and served at 55-60F.

Part of the sorta In the thread title. It has a nice body and drinks well. It is hot where I live and this is a great relaxing beer.

If I had the ability to run multiple serving pressure for serve off a cask I'd try it. but I am very satisfied by my American way of serving and I have no plans to change it soon.

Back