English Brown Ale Recipe - any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
just curious if anyone has thoughts on this recipe (note - I brewed this today, so its too late to change) but i'm always open to learning, or hearing input from the public so I can improve it next time (if needed - that is; looked/smelled/tasted pretty good going into the fermentor!)

what I was looking for was malty/nutty/a little smoky; and I tossed in some extra EKG at 30/15 just hoping to bump the hops up a little bit (I had to restrain myself from making some kind of weird Brown Pale Ale thing).

7.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Victory
1 lbs Crystal 60
8 oz Pale Chocolate
3 oz Rauch Malt

1pkt Nottingham Yeast
1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60
.5 oz East Kent Goldings each @ 30 and 15
mash at 152

target gravities (I came in at 75% efficiency; so pretty close to these targets)
preboil 1.046
postboil 1.053
FG 1.012
abv 5.4%
29IBU
22SRM

anything you'd do differently? hops/malts/yeast??

thank all!
__BeerMeThatBeer:mug:

Only thing I'd say is 14% victory is more than I tend to use, especially with a MO base. I don't usually go over 5% but I've seen others that are much more bold with it. I'd be curious to see what you think of it in the final product. Otherwise it looks pretty good to me (can't comment on the rauch as I don't care for the smoke, but certainly doesn't look like you over did it). Notty plus EKG is my go-to combo for browns and porters so we're in agreement there!
:mug:

Back