English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gob-smacking surprise award goes to the supermarket available Adnams Broadside. Caramel and roasty. That was a damn fine balanced beer! Anyone have a tribute or clone recipe?
This post spurred me on, as I'd read of the Broadside before and after seeing from Adnams that the bottle is 100% First Gold, I had to dive in. Anyway, cannot say it's anything other than a first pass, but working on it now fwiw. Thanks for the inspiration.

Big thanks to @Northern_Brewer, who has reasons to visit the Seattle area, for a very enjoyable afternoon yesterday sampling some great English beers he procured and then hand carried over to the local Machine House Brewery, which specializes in English cask ales. All were superlative brews.

Dark Star was very complex and amazing. Fingers crossed my culture of the dregs will turn out.

Ditto with the Yorkshire Stingo dregs.

The gob-smacking surprise award goes to the supermarket available Adnams Broadside. Caramel and roasty. That was a damn fine balanced beer! Anyone have a tribute or clone recipe?
Just received 3 bottles Gales Prize Old Ale 2023. Keep us posted on the dregs culture, please

@schmurf Nice video. Appreciate you posting.

I should have been more precise, i suppose. to clarify, what i meant was a Broadside clone recipe (or something that was in the "spirit" of or a "tribute" to Broadside). But I quite enjoyed your video and may need to visit Cornwall whenever i actually make to the UK.

Just received 3 bottles Gales Prize Old Ale 2023. Keep us posted on the dregs culture, please
Will do! Poured the bottle dregs in 500cc of ~1010 gravity. On the stir plate most of the time, but I do take it off for a few hours here and there to also aerate the Yorkshire Dingo dregs. 48 hours later Dark Star looked like this:
1704004810583.jpeg

Then added 750cc of 1030 gravity wort few hours ago, and it now looks like this:
1704004849010.jpeg

Fingers crossed fora good outcome and will update on progress

Will do! Poured the bottle dregs in 500cc of ~1010 gravity. On the stir plate most of the time, but I do take it off for a few hours here and there to also aerate the Yorkshire Dingo dregs. 48 hours later Dark Star looked like this:
View attachment 837811

Then added 750cc of 1030 gravity wort few hours ago, and it now looks like this:
View attachment 837812

Fingers crossed fora good outcome and will update on progress
Any luck with the Stingo dregs? I’ve tried several times without any success.

@schmurf Nice video. Appreciate you posting.

I should have been more precise, i suppose. to clarify, what i meant was a Broadside clone recipe (or something that was in the "spirit" of or a "tribute" to Broadside). But I quite enjoyed your video and may need to visit Cornwall whenever i actually make to the UK.
Yes I see the misunderstanding now, I blame @DuncB ! 😄 anyhow, St Austell Tribute is also worth a brew!

I must admit I was confused as to why you wanted a Tribute clone when the beer you enjoyed was made on the east coast of England.
This at least is on the right track and will give you some clues.

Do you have a link?

Tribute

British Golden Ale
4.3% / 10.1 °P
Recipe by
David Edgeley
All Grain

Klarstein Mundschenk 30 L

75% efficiency
Batch Volume: 22 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 20.3 L
Sparge Water: 8.62 L
Total Water: 28.92 L
Boil Volume: 26.96 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.041
Final Gravity: 1.008
IBU (Tinseth): 37
BU/GU: 0.90
Colour: 4.2 SRM

Mash​

Temperature — 65 °C60 min

Malts (3.8 kg)

3.4 kg (89.5%) — Crisp Finest Maris Otter® Ale Malt — Grain — 3.3 SRM
300 g (7.9%) — Crisp Vienna Malt — Grain — 4 SRM
100 g (2.6%) — Crisp Torrefied Wheat — Grain — 2.5 SRM

Hops (100 g)

35 g (22 IBU) — Fuggle 5% — Boil — 60 min
25 g
(10 IBU) — Willamette 5.1% — Boil — 15 min
40 g
(5 IBU) — Willamette 4.5% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 85 °C

Hopstand at 85 °C
Used Nottingham style yeast

I'm in my living room. 🤣🤣🤣
Wish I could remember the name of it, but one of our best times in our tour of England was our stay in Warwick. I've a deep appreciation for W. European history so that alone made Warwick a bit of a diamond, but it was also our first experience at a quaint little English inn stay, with the 2-3 casks downstairs in what amounts to their living room. Man.....miss England. Plan on going again within the next couple of years, this time with our 23-year old son in tow. He's also deep into history.

23. We visited England sometime around 2000. Math. :bigmug:

Wish I could remember the name of it, but one of our best times in our tour of England was our stay in Warwick. I've a deep appreciation for W. European history so that alone made Warwick a bit of a diamond, but it was also our first experience at a quaint little English inn stay, with the 2-3 casks downstairs in what amounts to their living room. Man.....miss England. Plan on going again within the next couple of years, this time with our 23-year old son in tow. He's also deep into history.

23. We visited England sometime around 2000. Math. :bigmug:
My daughter lived there for over 12 years and I would visit two to three times a year. She's moved back just recently and I'm going to miss those trips

My daughter lived there for over 12 years and I would visit two to three times a year. She's moved back just recently and I'm going to miss those trips
Wow, that's phenomenal, eshea23. The Collegiate Church of St. Mary's, Beauchamp Chapel....not sure what they're called, but the above-ground, sculptured caskets of the Earls of Warwick and others. Odd side-story, but I am a trained Shakesearean actor and played Henry V among many other historical roles. That I was looking on Richard de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, who figured in Henry's campaign in France, well....I found it all so moving, as with so much else (the Warwick Castle itself - to stand at one end upon the original battlements built by William the Conqueror two years after his conquest, 1068), and all of what we visited in England.

Wow, that's phenomenal, eshea23. The Collegiate Church of St. Mary's, Beauchamp Chapel....not sure what they're called, but the above-ground, sculptured caskets of the Earls of Warwick and others. Odd side-story, but I am a trained Shakesearean actor and played Henry V among many other historical roles. That I was looking on Richard de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, who figured in Henry's campaign in France, well....I found it all so moving, as with so much else (the Warwick Castle itself - to stand at one end upon the original battlements built by William the Conqueror two years after his conquest, 1068), and all of what we visited in England.
I've only heard of one trained Shakespearian actor before, a professor who taught a course I took in college that covered one play each week (three Histories, three Tragedies and three Comedies. The course was called Shakespeare Rapid Reading, and met for three hours, once per week in the evening. I don't remember the professor, but I do remember the class. It was one of the most intense yet thoroughly enjoyable courses I ever took. The prof could make the characters leap off the page, or be as transfixing as Sir Laurence Olivier.

Sir Larry used to drink in my local pub owned and run by my school friends dad. Great country pub with or without the celebrities. This also filmed there

Sir Paul not a regular though.

I've only heard of one trained Shakespearian actor before, a professor who taught a course I took in college that covered one play each week (three Histories, three Tragedies and three Comedies. The course was called Shakespeare Rapid Reading, and met for three hours, once per week in the evening. I don't remember the professor, but I do remember the class. It was one of the most intense yet thoroughly enjoyable courses I ever took. The prof could make the characters leap off the page, or be as transfixing as Sir Laurence Olivier.
Wow, that's a wonderful story, Broothru! I did some work with the English Shakespeare Company when they came through doing Macbeth in Chicago. One of the things I found fascinating, was how reverential the Americans actors were of the text - a good thing, if done right - but to the point they treated it as high literature and not living, actionable text. Or, we do the other thing - all "method" and treat it only as grist for "subtext," James Dean does Hamlet, and ignore the clues Shakespeare gives in the rhythm and sound, even the spelling of words. They're like stage directions, but inside the text, not outside it.

When I see a fine English actor performing his or her work, it is the perfect synthesis of music, poetry, sailing on the rhythm - joined to living experience. Not stodgy, inert, and not mumbled, and "real." Alive, immediate, and understood perfectly and viscerally because the meter matters.

Phew! Anyway, I wax wordy. Here's a much younger moi, in the Smithsonian, outside Edith Wharton's home, where we were located (Shakespeare & Co.). Company warming up for 12th night.

1704250916166.png

And a few others from ancient history.

1704250941545.png
1704250982194.png
1704251014591.png
1704251038276.png

Now I'm just an old bald dude, lol.

Sir Larry used to drink in my local pub owned and run by my school friends dad. Great country pub with or without the celebrities. This also filmed there

Sir Paul not a regular though.

!!!! Oh, man, I would die to share a few there. For the sound of the country pub alone. Thanks for sharing, man.

The Fountain Inn
Ashurst
West Sussex.

I emphasize the county as there is an ashurst in Tyne and wear which is several hundred miles away.
Wow. Yes.

1704304245723.png

And I just died of a very, very English Gemütlichkeit.

The water theme is close to my heart. Our former restaurant, Waterstone (first and to knowledge only French place in Michigan's U.P., we closed in '06), I built a recirculating fountain in the middle of the dining room....the theme of water inside, confusing interiors for exteriors, has been with me since a kid. You can't see it here, but it's just off to the right.

1704304885897.jpeg

Last edited:
The video linked above gives log book ingredients for Tribute (Extra?) as:

70% Pauls Pale (Custom Pale malt, not sure of the barley variety... might be MO)
5% Wheat Malt
20% Munich Malt
5% Cara Malt

Malt Miller gives their malt bill the same as listed on the St Austell website for both Tribute and Tribute Extra:

(Not sure of ratio)
Cornish Gold (Simpsons Custom malt - closest might be a Munich style malt?)
Marris Otter

Recipes change but the log book recipe looks good w/ Fuggles, Goldings, Willamette and Pub A09

1704302566033.png

1704304855792.png

70% Pauls Pale (Custom Pale malt, not sure of the barley variety... might be MO)
5% Wheat Malt
20% Munich Malt
5% Cara Malt

Malt Miller gives their malt bill the same as listed on the St Austell website for both Tribute and Tribute Extra:

(Not sure of ratio)
Marris Otter

Recipes change but the log book recipe looks good w/ Fuggles, Goldings, Willamette and Pub A09

View attachment 838092

View attachment 838098
Excellent, thanks man!

Marris Otter

No might about it, Cornish Gold is just a Munich made with Cornish barley. Malt Miller sell/sold it, which tells you something about how closely they've worked with Snozzell on their recipe....

Pub doesn't feel like the right yeast though, the Snozzell yeast is pretty clean and allegedly a Whitbread yeast via Shepherd Neame (a Neame was a Snozzell director until recently). I've cultured it from Proper Job bottles before now, it's nice.

No might about it, Cornish Gold is just a Munich made with Cornish barley. Malt Miller sell/sold it, which tells you something about how closely they've worked with Snozzell on their recipe....

Pub doesn't feel like the right yeast though, the Snozzell yeast is pretty clean and allegedly a Whitbread yeast via Shepherd Neame (a Neame was a Snozzell director until recently). I've cultured it from Proper Job bottles before now, it's nice.
Would Wyeast 1099 be an acceptable yeast, then? I seem to recall someone somewhere mentioning the Mangrove Jack Burton Union.

Last edited:

5% Wheat Malt
20% Munich Malt
5% Cara Malt

(Not sure of ratio)
Marris Otter

View attachment 838092

View attachment 838098
That's Goldings, and not Styrian, then?

I suppose if they used black GP then it wouldn't contradict their 100% GP malt claim
I have a vague memory that they used to colour with caramel (like most British brewers - that's as in the sugar, not the malt) but switched to black malt ?in the 90s?

Resurrection because I'm working on it and have never understood this, myself. I can't get more than about 4.4 SRM with just GP. Any resolution on this - are they using some sort of black malt (i.e., a GP black malt), or caramel, or perhaps the custom-kilned base GP? ( I just added in 2.5 oz/1.8% black patent malt and got to 10.8 SRM, but pretty loathe to use black to color).

Last edited:
I have managed to culture a bit of the Prize Old Ale. Gawd knows what's in that beast.

I have fermenter with plastic liners, that kinda suck, but should keep the beasties from infesting the rest of my "Brewhaus". ;)

Here's a photo with Erlenmeyer with say 2mm depth of recultured dregs. Stir plate solution is still 7.5 plato or 1028, so there should be more for the beasties to eat up. Just for fun, I'm going to crash it tomorrow, and the bulk of the crashed liquid pour into a test batch of 3# Belgium lager malt, and 3# wheat. (Unless someone wants to suggest something better in the meantime?!?)

1704336221935.jpeg

Back