English ale yeast or American Aelise what's the difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
That's it, that's the question:)

Edit: Boy, Siri really knows how to make you look like an idiot sometimes! English ale yeast or American ale yeast, what is the difference when making a cider

Chime in guys....

What leaves a fruitier flavor? American ale yeast or English ale yeast? Which gets dryer? What's the difference?

Both will leave a completely dry cider, unless your sugar levels are really high or you stop fermentation in some way (see below). The simple sugars in apple juice are easily metabolized by yeast, unlike the complex sugars in wort, so attenuation is 100%.

Many people report good results from Nottingham, but my experiments with it didn't impress me enough to keep using it. Can't remember if I ever tried American ale yeast, but I wouldn't expect much from it. The "clean" flavor profile means it won't contribute much to the finished cider, and it is likely to ferment out most of the aromatics and flavor compounds.

Nottingham is said to be rather temperature-sensitive and can perhaps be used to produce an off-dry cider, by crash-cooling and racking off when the SG is around 1.01 or so. Ferment at 65F and chill to 32F, yeast should drop out. I think I did this once and it worked, but haven't bothered to do it again.

Well, I have enjoyed my nottingham ciders before. This first batch of the year I'm using bry-97 which is not one of the "clean" american strains, which is what I think you are driving at badger?

ForumRunner_20130926_113629.png

I guess since I want to "enhance" the cider profile I use yeasts that are built for that. A clean american strain would I hope let more of you apples varietal character through. I know several folks on this forum who are lucky (yes I'm jealous! ) enough to get to choose their apples. I have to take what is pressed by the orchard on any given week and start from there.

Back