Element not heating??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be very unfortunate. I will grab my multimeter and check...

Swapped in a different SSR and still no heat
still looking for my multimeter....

I have 120V on each line leaving the enclosure and on the back of the element.
i put cold water in to see the heating effect faster and it has not moved past 70F

New SSR also has LED on

With the element plugged in, and the SSR firing, can you measure across the two outputs from your contactor?
(the black and red wire)

Yes I will do that right now

In the meantime...

I read another thread, and I measured 11ohm across my element, which means it should be getting hot

Sorry for the confusion, I'm still a novice with a multimeter...

input to the contactor i get 120V on each line. On the output I get 120V on each line (using the common ground for each test)

the resistance across the black and red on the outside side is 11ohm

Please measure AC voltage, across the red and black on the contactor, not from neutral.
Do this on both sides of the contactor.
While you are measuring this, make sure the element is inline (plugged in), and the
SSR is firing (red light).

Should be measuring approx 240v

Please measure AC voltage, across the red and black on the contactor, not from neutral.
Do this on both sides of the contactor.
While you are measuring this, make sure the element is inline (plugged in), and the
SSR is firing (red light).

Should be measuring approx 240v

Ah thank you, by checking this, it solved my problem.

One of the crimp connectors I used was not as crimped as I thought and slipped out (yikes!) and only the element uses power from this leg so thats why only the element didnt work

Element seems to be heating now.

Such a simple problem caused chaos in my evening :confused:

Thanks, I double checked and that one was secure.
ill check all of them tomorrow, thanks!

Back