Electric thermometer inside primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lane19d

Reaction score
I would like to keep better tabs on the temperature of my primary, could I snake a digital thermometer through the airlock? Then I could have an alarm go off when the desired temperature is reached, or strayed from.

Tape your probe to the outside and insulate it by taping bubble wrap around it. Temperature will be accurate within 1 degree or less.

I used the foil and bubble wrap insulation you find at Lowes to make blankets for my buckets.

If you can pull it off then I see no reason it wouldn't work. I personally prefer the stick-on thermometers for my buckets.

I would like to keep better tabs on the temperature of my primary, could I snake a digital thermometer through the airlock? Then I could have an alarm go off when the desired temperature is reached, or strayed from.

Carboy or plastic bucket?

I'd choose to drill a hole in the plastic lid and seal it with something like clay.
Drill a tight hole in the bung plug. Wedging it in the neck should seal it.

I'd leave the airlock alone.

'da Kid

It's called a thermowell and it works. However, the temperature on the outside of the fermenter follows the temperature inside very closely so the easier way is to attach the thermometer to the outside with insulation over it. People who have tested both with a thermowell and the thermometer on the outside have found that there is less than one degree difference as mentioned above, not enough to be really significant in the world of beer making.

It's called a thermowell and it works. However, the temperature on the outside of the fermenter follows the temperature inside very closely so the easier way is to attach the thermometer to the outside with insulation over it. People who have tested both with a thermowell and the thermometer on the outside have found that there is less than one degree difference as mentioned above, not enough to be really significant in the world of beer making.

This ^^^^^. I'm completely comfortable with the accuracy of the reading that I get from taping the STC-1000 probe to the side of the bucket and covering it up with bubble wrap.

i have made myself some stainless thermowells. works pretty good and not all that expensive, provided you can get the one end welded.

however, as it has been noted, I have run tests between the thermowell reading and the reading of a probe taped and insulated to the side, and they aren't different.

Latest posts

Back