Electric Keggles for BIAB... advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Background:

I lurk here a lot.. but with brewing extract, I usually do not have many questions and/or comments on many of the all grain topics. However, I am currently subdividing my workshop into a workshop / beer room. YAY me!!! anyway, I have had 3 kegs for years, 2 of them already converted to a brew pot... with valve etc. At one point in time, was going to build a traditional 3 vessel system. I think the idea of brew in a container a much easier idea. I have a friend that can make me a 12" cylinder with a heavy duty screen bottom. That said, have never brewed on that type rig because, like I said, I have only done extract and am ready to make the jump.

Thoughts:

But I was wondering. I do not see many threads on people using keggles for brew in a container. What is the reason? Do you loose to much room in the bottom of a keggle, with the element that you do not have enough contact with the grain? making 5 gal batches impossible?

I was planning on converting these keggles to something like the robo-brew so that I would still be able to brew high gravity. I know how to do it, but I just do not know if it is a good plan or not. So I am looking to you guys to help me out with what I should do. I have procrastinated long enough and want to pull the trigger on something.

Budget is $500-700ish.....

I know I didn't ask enough questions or provide enough details... but just wanted to get my conversation started.

Yes, the challenge is that by the time you put the element up high enough to avoid the mess at the bottom of the keg, the grain basket or bag STARTS at about the 4 gallon level, if not 5.

Latest posts

Back