Electric keggle wort chiller design?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babalu87

Reaction score
This is the only issue so far with my immersion wort chiller.
Takes about 10 minutes longer to get to the same temperature with the electric kettle because of the element.

Wondering what some of your designs look like?
Thinking of making up a new one where I can get more tubing on each side of the element and have it sit on the bottom of the keggle rather than resting on the element (not entirely)

I'd like to know about this as well.. I have a IC, i want to make a keggle and was wondering if it was possible to use an IC with an electric keggle.

Does anyone use one with an electric kettle with success? And if so, is there a trick to it?

I use one with my E keggle,I'm just carefull to tip the chiller sideways and put the bulk of the weight on the bottom of the keggle.I also bent the elements down some,I've heard of them braking but mine held up to the bending.

Would it be possible to insert the heating element through the bottom as opposed to from the side? Would 5 gallons of wort leave part of the element exposed?

That way the IC would sit around the heating element..

Mount the chiller to the kettle, through the side, so it is suspended above the elements.

If you are going to spend money, consider a plate chiller. They are very efficient and don't go into the pot at all. I use a therminator with my electric keggle.

Mine got clogged every other time I used it (Shirron), even though I used hop bags, whirlpooled, etc. Some folks love them, just not me.

I'm looking to go electric (currently learning about it from another HBT member) and realized this morning that my IC will potentially be an issue with the element in my BK. Similar (I guess) to a Counter Flow Chiller (pumping wort that is), could one not place the IC in an ice bucket and pump the wort through it returning cooled wort to the BK? Thoughts? Or is this just an "a$$hat" idea and I'm just over thinking things once again.

I'm looking to go electric (currently learning about it from another HBT member) and realized this morning that my IC will potentially be an issue with the element in my BK. Similar (I guess) to a Counter Flow Chiller (pumping wort that is), could one not place the IC in an ice bucket and pump the wort through it returning cooled wort to the BK? Thoughts? Or is this just an "a$$hat" idea and I'm just over thinking things once again.

I do exactly that.

I start with tap water to knock the temp down a bit before adding the ice. Otherwise, you will melt the ice REALLY quickly. I usually just put a garden hose in the bucket and let it slowly overflow while circulating the wort for about 10 minutes.

Once the temp gets down to about 120 or so, the ice should take you the rest of the way.

I have a CFC that actually cools faster. The problem with my CFC, is the diameter of the tube restricts the flow and prevents me from being able to pump through it and whirlpool.

Just make some "legs" for your IC out of some copper wire? That should hold it over the element.

I'm planning to ditch my IC for either a CFC or a plate chiller when I go electric...

whutever....

I also use my copper coil in the way you describe. I put it in ice water and pump wort through it.

My coil is also my HERMS heat exchanger, and I have my temp probe mounted at the output of that coil. During mashing, the probe temp is used to control the HLT heat and this the mash temp. During chilling, that same probe in that same coil in that same HLT (which is now a CLT since I have icewater in it) is used to let me watch the temp fall via the PID display.

Just make some "legs" for your IC out of some copper wire? That should hold it over the element.

I'm planning to ditch my IC for either a CFC or a plate chiller when I go electric...

If you go with "legs" on your IC...
Depending on the height of your IC, the location of your element, and the volume in your BK, you could end up with IC coils that are not submerged.
Might not be a significant problem, just a consideration.

Back