Electric Bone Broth Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
I have a 3 vessel eHERMS set-up running on a modified 50A Kal-clone. I've also started getting into making bone broth. I was thinking of getting one of those bayou classic kettles that has a really high false bottom, putting a heating element below the false bottom and using it to make bone broth. The bones would rest on the false bottom.

Anyone think there would be a problem running a heating element in broth?

I'll just unplug one of my brew rig heating elements and RTDs and plug in my broth kettle. I currently do about 20lbs of beef shin bones with some ox tail in a 5g kettle on my stovetop. Would love to make a lot more broth per batch.

Here's the kettle. I've heard people complain that the false bottom is too high, which for mashing might be a problem, but for putting an element below the false bottom is a pretty big benefit.

61dIBYP2slL._SL1200_.jpg

Anyone think there would be a problem running a heating element in broth?

I would think as long as you use the ULWD elements, the heat transfer will be evenly distributed so you should be more than fine? Especially if nothing will make direct contact with the elements.

Would a pot with basket be a better match for boiling bones for stock?

Just a thought, either way will work I guess.

Not a bad idea. I'm just familiar with those Bayou Classic kettles with really high false bottoms and figured they would work for what I wanted to do.

I would need a pretty large basket. I want to be able to use 50lbs of bones per batch.

Latest posts

Back