Elderberry 2.0...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver

Reaction score
Started my 5gal batch of elderberry wine. Had enough frozen from this summer to mix up a full batch. Boiled the water on a Turkey Fryer setup and it was SOOO much better. Even @ 30*F and cold water I was done in 30 minutes! It's cooling to room temperature before I add the additives. This is the 2nd batch of elderberry. I started a 3 gal batch in Aug to enter the Beer/Wine world. I think wine will be my "winter" game since it will be less work outside. (I have a flattop elec. range in the house which is horrible for brewing)

Learning curve....So I added too much water to the mix which dropped my SG.

After boiling the water and adding sugar... I ended up with about 1/2 gal more than my bucket could hold. I left the must to cool to room temperature all day while I was out. Got back in tonight and the OG was only 1.080. Too low for what I figured I would need. So I scooped out some must and heated on the stove so I could add a bunch more sugar. Bumped it up to 1.102 so that should get me into at least a 12% range. I can fortify later if necessary. But it all came down to adding too much water initially which diluted my sugar addition. Learned that lesson.

Whoa! Just took a reading at the 1week mark... and my Elderberry is sitting @ ~.996-1.000 (OG= 1.102). Depends on how many bubbles attach to the hydrometer. Almost looks like champagne bubbling away. My berries are noticeably shriveled and more pale, compared to the beginning of the week, or even a couple days ago. Mr Keller's recipe calls to let the fruit sit for 2 weeks. I think I'm going to have a hard time with patience on this one now. Those berries are whining at me... "Please, we've given all we can... let us go...." I'll see if I can be strong and ignore their pitiful pleas.

The first step in the recipe is "Bring water to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. " ... Not to mention I'm on city water and I felt it would help disperse some of the chlorine.

If you mean the 2nd post where I needed to add more sugar... I didn't boil it, I only warmed up some must to help dissolve as much sugar as I could w/o adding more water. Which was good becuase my must was pushing on the lid of my bucket during primary :)

The first step in the recipe is "Bring water to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. " ... Not to mention I'm on city water and I felt it would help disperse some of the chlorine.

If you mean the 2nd post where I needed to add more sugar... I didn't boil it, I only warmed up some must to help dissolve as much sugar as I could w/o adding more water. Which was good becuase my must was pushing on the lid of my bucket during primary :)

No, I was just wondering because I've never boiled water for my wines and was wondering why you did. that's all!

Update: Racked the Elderberry today... VERY clear smelled wonderful. Had a great "grape" wine smell. I refrained from tasting and simply performed my task at hand. Only spilled 1 drop! I'm getting better at this liquid transfer thing.

After bottling the Tangerine last night... Got the Elderberry bottled tonight. 21x750's and 2x 1.5L's... plus one cup for tasting :)
Turned out really nice. Even after ~5-6mos this is already drinkable. Can't wait to find out what it tastes like after aging.

Back