EHERMS Setup - Some Final Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvburton

Reaction score
OK, my eherms kal clone project is approved and I am in the final design phases. Here are a few items I'm currently undecided on which I'd appreciate some crowdsourced feedback; it will be much appreciated!

(1) I am building the stand on casters and going to be brewing in the garage. I don't really have a convenient place for a vent hood and have read a few places that just having a fan aimed at the ceiling above the BK would be good enough to stop condensation. I have an approx. 8' unfinished ceiling (townhome) and would definately boil w/ the door open even in the cold months. Should I still be worried about condensation/dripping?

(2) Hop stopper or whirlpool for BK? I've seen examples of both and am leaning towards whirlpool as it seems a hop stopper requires patience and some occasional intervention.

(3) The eternal question: spa panel or GFI breaker? I already have a sub panel in the garage so an additional panel may be overkill. Should I just let my electrician do whatever he's comfortable with? I'll more than likely be running the lines from one side of the garage across the ceiling to the other as the 'permanent' location of the stand is against the opposite wall and am not sure if that should factor into the decision.

I only think the spa panel is the better choice if any of these are true: a)you plan to move soon. b)if you are DIYing the electrical and cost is the most significant factor. c)the main panel is far away from your brew area because I prefer access to the breaker on a regular basis as it's a good idea to hit the test button before each brew session. You don't do that if you have to walk 80 feet away.

I brew in a garage and condensation is not an issue at all. I keep the door open and all is well.

Back