Efficiency...is there an easy way??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's many calculators out there, but the math is pretty simple.

Potential of the grain (ppg) times lbs of grain divided by wort volume = maximum potential gravity

Actual gravity / potential gravity = efficiency

10 lbs of grain at 36 ppg = 360

360 / 5 gallons = 72 point potential

Actual OG of 1.054 = 54/72 or 75% efficiency

There are a dew different times to calculate efficiency as well, but I generally choose pre boil.

Potential of the grain (ppg) times lbs of grain divided by wort volume = maximum potential gravity

There are a dew different times to calculate efficiency as well, but I generally choose pre boil.

Thank you seems pretty straight forward

How to you figure out PPG of the grain?

The important thing is there are multiple places you can talk about and measure efficiency.

Mash efficiency: the percentage of sugars you extract from the grain in the mash. Many people (including myself), are actually referring to mash and lauter efficiency when they say mash efficiency. So when most people talk about mash efficiency, they talk about the percentage of potential sugars you end up with at the beginning of the boil. What AZ provided.

Brewhouse efficiency: the percentage of sugars that make it into your fermenter. This additionally factors in any sugar that gets left behind at any point in the process after you start the boil.

Back