EFFFING DISASTER!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
So I decided to brew a GMC NEIPA. Everything went great, I hit all of my numbers and it was going to be a 4 hr brew session from start to finish thanks to my new submersible pump for my IC. Started moving from my BK to Fermenter and then $&@@&!!!!!!@&!’.

The BK was on my bench in my garage and had wort gravity flowing into the fermenter. I had the BK on a 3” binder at an angle to keep the valve up and keep trub in the BK. I got about 2 gallons into a he fermenter and then all of a sudden the binder shifted towards me and the BK fell to the garage floor. In all maybe a gallon and a half got on the floor, while maybe three stayed in the BK. I finished transferring and wound up with almost 5 gallons in the fermenter. With it being a NEIPA I added .5 gallon of distilled water to the fermenter so I have 5.5 gallons fermenting.

So now I had wort on my garage floor and splashed everywhere. It took me an hour to rinse and squeegee it off. My wife will still think it smells like sweet wort and hops, but it is 25 out and there is two feet of snow on the ground so I don’t know what to tell her.

And o yeah there is a big dent in my keezer that I just noticed when I had to move it to clean.

I need a beer...:mad:

Wow, I shudder just thinking about something like that. The good news is nobody got hurt and if I'm picturing what happened correctly, I'm surprised you didn't loose the entire batch.

As for what to tell the wife, when she asks why the garage smells funny, "Really honey, I haven't noticed. I'll look into it but I don't have time right now because I'm taking you out to dinner. Have you lost weight?"

Wow, I shudder just thinking about something like that. The good news is nobody got hurt and if I'm picturing what happened correctly, I'm surprised you didn't loose the entire batch.

As for what to tell the wife, when she asks why the garage smells funny, "Really honey, I haven't noticed. I'll look into it but I don't have time right now because I'm taking you out to dinner. Have you lost weight?"
Be warned that stops working after a few times.

A good wife would lap it up. Dog, I mean. A good dog would lap it up. Oh crap, where's the delete key?

But seriously. You'll have beer. Rejoice.

Yeah, there will be beer, but it will be tarnished. Going to have to remake it w/o screwing up. A learning lesson and definitely one of those to keep in the record books.

Hopefully by the time the garage heats up the wort I couldn’t get to will be dusted over and dried up.

I am sure it sounded like the furnace seen from A Christmas Story in my house. The wife hasn’t said anything yet...

I've spilled out if the fermenter, out of the bottling bucket, test cylinder but not the boil kettle yet. I'm sure my time will be up, soon. I'm sure your tarnished beer will turn out great. And it will be all the more dearer to you now :D

[...]In all maybe a gallon and a half got on the floor, while maybe three stayed in the BK. I finished transferring and wound up with almost 5 gallons in the fermenter. [...]

That's effin' amazing. You should buy a lottery ticket right now...

Cheers! :D

Back