effects of brewing byproducts on my septic system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
Are the byproducts of brewing detrimental to my home's septic system? For example oxiclean, starsan, yeast and trub all go down the drain in large amounts at my house. Will this harm my septic system?

For 5 or 10 gallon batches and at anything close to normal usage rates for the items you mention, there should be no deleterious affect on a healthy septic system.

If anything from that list were detrimental it would be the StarSan. Lots of folks dump yeast in their septic thinking it helps to break down the solids but, I think they just have no clue what yeast really is.

Doh! Revvy with the cut and paste.

than dish or laundry detergent, especially if you use the unscented version. StarSan is safe for septic systems... you can even water your plants with the dilute solution and yeast and trub may actually be beneficial.

so we have 1 for and 1 against starsan in the septic tank.

I doubt yeast and trub are a problem.

What about oxiclean?

so we have 1 for and 1 against starsan in the septic tank.

No you don't, you have Gila's unsubstantiated opinion against, and my facts backed up by a podcast with the creator of the product where he specifically states that it IS actually GOOD for septic fields.

It's not a vote here.....it's facts vs opinion.....

No you don't, you have Gila's unsubstantiated opinion against, and my facts backed up by a podcast with the creator of the product where he specifically states that it IS actually GOOD for septic fields.

It's not a vote here.....it's facts vs opinion.....

I used neither fact nor opinion. My only statement was that if "anything" were detrimental it would be the StarSan. The only omission is that I did not state at what volume StarSan would be detrimental. But, even then, it would also be a condition of the volume of the septic system.

Here in NJ my laundry water is supposed to go into the septic tank and that has detergent, bleach, etc. and I was not told it would harm it so I suppose that would not either. Not to mention toilet bowel cleaner, bathroom cleaner, floor cleaners, kitchen cleaners. The biggest concern seemed to be what will not dissolve and clog the leach field.

:off:

May I please ask a somewhat related question rather than start a whole new thread? How often should I have my 1500 tank pumped with just 2 adults in the house and both working full time jobs away from home? People who pump say every year but I have heard some people go for 5 years. Right now we are doing every other year.

Sorry for the off topic but I appreciate it.

Here in NJ my laundry water is supposed to go into the septic tank and that has detergent, bleach, etc. and I was not told it would harm it so I suppose that would not either. Not to mention toilet bowel cleaner, bathroom cleaner, floor cleaners, kitchen cleaners. The biggest concern seemed to be what will not dissolve and clog the leach field.

May I please ask a somewhat related question rather than start a whole new thread? How often should I have my 1500 tank pumped with just 2 adults in the house and both working full time jobs away from home? People who pump say every year but I have heard some people go for 5 years. Right now we are doing every other year.

In theory a well designed and constructed system can go indefinitely without pumping it out. The system is designed to balance and is maintenance free. But if you stress the system or flush down a bunch of solids that won't degrade then you should have it pumped.

If I was in your shoes I would just let it be. Maybe just maybe I would pump it every five years or so just in case. But with your loads the system should go on it's own indefinitely.

My friend who installs septic systems (including mine); says a properly designed system should be pumped every 3 yrs. Previously I had heard they don't ever need to be pumped unless you have problems.

My friend who installs septic systems (including mine); says a properly designed system should be pumped every 3 yrs. Previously I had heard they don't ever need to be pumped unless you have problems.

Thanks, I am guessing if you wait until you have a problem it may be too late.

In theory a well designed and constructed system can go indefinitely without pumping it out. The system is designed to balance and is maintenance free. But if you stress the system or flush down a bunch of solids that won't degrade then you should have it pumped.

If I was in your shoes I would just let it be. Maybe just maybe I would pump it every five years or so just in case. But with your loads the system should go on it's own indefinitely.

Thanks, I figured these guys are out to get more business. I guess pumping every year you are sure to have no problems but that cost us $250 a shot so I think I may let it go longer than two. The owner of the house before us also ran the laundry water right out to a seperate leach field but at inspection he had to put it back to the septic tank. After they left he put it back for us. They said anything that touches the body must go through the septic tank but unless you poop your pants every day I don't see any real harm.

Well, after six years of brewing, my septic tank seems to be just fine.

jgln - the guy who last pumped my tank said ten years for two people and it's only 1000 gallons.

Absolutely no worries about Oxy, StarSan, or any other brewing by product.

I have to maintain six septic tanks here at the center I manage. Two of them quite large. The reason you hear so many different durations on when they should be pumped out is because there are so many variables. How often are family members at home? Does the house have a garbage disposal? Etc...

Here is a link to a chart that agrees with what our Health Dept. tells us. I hope this helps:

http://www.inspectapedia.com/septic/tankpump.htm

Pro-tip #1: Dig up the access hatch to the tank and check it yourself. If the level of the floating solids is getting up/around the height of the baffles, its time to pump. The baffles are the walls on the end of the tank that prevent undigested matter from flowing out into your leach field. If the level gets high enough to flow over the baffles, you have some big problems.

Pro-tip #2: Dig the hole to your access hatch yourself....don't pay the septic pump guy good money for something you can do yourself.

Pro-tip #3: Write down where exactly your access hatch is in your yard, complete with distances from known, unmovable objects. It makes it easier to dig up again when you need to check the level in 3 years.

Absolutely no worries about Oxy, StarSan, or any other brewing by product.

I have to maintain six septic tanks here at the center I manage. Two of them quite large. The reason you hear so many different durations on when they should be pumped out is because there are so many variables. How often are family members at home? Does the house have a garbage disposal? Etc...

Here is a link to a chart that agrees with what our Health Dept. tells us. I hope this helps:

http://www.inspectapedia.com/septic/tankpump.htm

Thanks for the link, looks like a lot of good information and I am sure I can learn a lot and feel more comfortable with caring for the system. According to that chart it looks like almost 9 years for us but I am sure we will get it done much sooner to be sure.

Pro-tip #1: Dig up the access hatch to the tank and check it yourself. If the level of the floating solids is getting up/around the height of the baffles, its time to pump. The baffles are the walls on the end of the tank that prevent undigested matter from flowing out into your leach field. If the level gets high enough to flow over the baffles, you have some big problems.

Pro-tip #2: Dig the hole to your access hatch yourself....don't pay the septic pump guy good money for something you can do yourself.

Pro-tip #3: Write down where exactly your access hatch is in your yard, complete with distances from known, unmovable objects. It makes it easier to dig up again when you need to check the level in 3 years.

Tip 2 and 3 we have covered but thanks for the other tip. I thought of taking the cover off to have a look but I was not sure what to look for since I assume it is fairly full most of the time with fluid since once below the baffles it will stop draining. But if I can clearly see a difference between the solida and liquids then that will help a lot. I guess I need to man up and take the cover off.

I don't think anything should be a major concern due to the volume.
But I would recommend dumping out any sanitizers in the yard when ever convent. Anything that kills bacteria is not good for your septic system. The quantity issue is more complicated as you likely put some bleach and cleaning products into it for non brewing reasons (like cleaning your house & clothing).
Non sanitizer brewing stuff you may want to dump would likely be good for it, or at worst neutral.

Every so often just leave a gallon of milk in the sun to get good and ripe. Then flush in an effort to keep the good bugs working in the tank. Bleach from the washer is a big time bug killer and will reduce the amount of solids that get broken down.

Every so often just leave a gallon of milk in the sun to get good and ripe. Then flush in an effort to keep the good bugs working in the tank. Bleach from the washer is a big time bug killer and will reduce the amount of solids that get broken down.

But why would you want to flush all that tasty kumis?

If anything from that list were detrimental it would be the StarSan. Lots of folks dump yeast in their septic thinking it helps to break down the solids but, I think they just have no clue what yeast really is.

Doh! Revvy with the cut and paste.

There are commercial products for those of us with septic tanks and leach fields. From what I understand they are primarily yeasts. I don't know which type... maybe we could con some homebrewers into making beer with it.

There are commercial products for those of us with septic tanks and leach fields. From what I understand they are primarily yeasts. I don't know which type... maybe we could con some homebrewers into making beer with it.

But what if they culture it from real sewerage? :(

Latest posts

Back