Effects of an extra long boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markolomew

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have recently upgraded to an electric brewery system, and there is one big bug I haven't worked out, so I need some "boiling" advice. Basically, I'm fly sparging into my boil kettle to reach my target pre-boil size, then I boil for my 60 or 90 mins...whatever the recipe has. The problem is, I'm never hitting my final boil size in that allotted time, I'm usually 2 or more gallons aways from the mark. To fix this, I have been boiling extra long until I get to my final boil size.

My question is, does an extra long boil do anything to the flavor, or is this just what is needed to be done to get rid of all that extra water to hit the OG?

My last brews came out a little bitter, so i'm worried now that maybe boiling them too long imparts a bitter flavor. Anyway, what do you think/suggest?

Are you hopping at the 60 or 90 minute mark, and then continuing past that when you boil longer, or are you boiling longer, but still only hopping when there's an appropriate amount of time left?

If you're boiling a larger volume at lower gravity and boiling longer, yes, you're extracting substantially more IBUs.

Sounds to me like your either your target pre-boil or your target post-boil volume needs to be adjusted since your boiloff rate doesn't fit. Just need to collect less runnings so that you boil down to your desired volume in 60 or 90, or go for a bigger batch and keep your pre-boil where it is. In either case you'll need a little extra grain (to either make up for lost efficiency or just make up for extra volume) but save yourself time and effort.

Yes, I am hopping at the 60 min mark (at the start of the boil), so yea, the boil is getting much longer exposure to the hops then normal, so that might explain the bittering. I've noticed I've set my heating element to 212 in the past, but the boil wasn't very strong, so I just kicked it up to 214 yesterday and noticed the boil out was much faster. Maybe the boil has been talking longer bc it wasn't boiling heavy enough.

Hops aside, if the preboil volume had too much in it, boiling it longer to compensate for this shouldn't burn or effect the flavor, correct?

You will get some additional melanoidin formation and darkening, and it'll have a little bit of a flavor impact, although I'm not sure exactly how much.

You will get some additional melanoidin formation and darkening, and it'll have a little bit of a flavor impact, although I'm not sure exactly how much.

Well, it kind of sounds like if you have too much preboil, boiling it out is the correct solution. You will just have to compensate for hop times. So, if the 60 min is up, take the hops out so we don't over bitter the beer (I use a hop screen, so I can just lift it out of the keggle). Done and done.

Thanks!

Well, it kind of sounds like if you have too much preboil, boiling it out is the correct solution. You will just have to compensate for hop times. So, if the 60 min is up, take the hops out so we don't over bitter the beer (I use a hop screen, so I can just lift it out of the keggle). Done and done.

Thanks!

It's one possible way. A 2 hour boil instead of 60 or 90 mins may not have a noticeable impact. A 4 or 5 hour boil probably will.

If you know how long it takes to reach volume, then don't hop it at first. Boil unhopped for however you need to, and them hop at the end.

Well, it kind of sounds like if you have too much preboil, boiling it out is the correct solution. You will just have to compensate for hop times. So, if the 60 min is up, take the hops out so we don't over bitter the beer (I use a hop screen, so I can just lift it out of the keggle).

Yes, but I agree with Qhrumphf you need to get your volumes dialed in. After a batch or two you shouldn't still be 2+ gal off on your volume. Figure out what heat setting gets you a good rolling boil, measure the boil off, add that to your desired end volume then stop sparging when you get there (less the 4% loss to cooling).

I brew several very long boil beers and there are distinct and drastic changes that occur in a long boil. 2 hours is not a long boil though, so blast away. If you are curious here are the changes I notice in the 8-12 hour boil range:

1. Substantially darker color. A light wort turns a unique brown hue that i've never seen with just specialty grains.

2. Very pleasing maillard compound formation. I prefer this to decoction mashing. Also, no stressing about scorched grain.

3. The gravity lowers over time. I'm not sure of the science of this but I get around 30% less gravity than I start with after 12 hours of boiling. I suppose all those delicious maillard compounds come at the expense of sticky sugar.

4. Brilliantly clear beer. Plenty of time for hot break to form. You'll get a crystal clear (but dark) beer.

Latest posts

Back