eff. is 50% WHaaa....not going up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunmojo

Reaction score
Hello. all. just to let you guys know im abiab guy. I have been switching to all grain for a few batches now about 6. and I cant seem to get my efficiency up when i do the beersmith eff. calculator it always adjusts my efficiency to around 50 percent.

I just did a small brew just to see how my equipment is doing.. I brew small 2.5 batches anyway.. at home...

I pluged everything into beersmith....

with 70% efficiency into beersmith
batch size 10L
no BOIL....just to see my mash...eff.
4.15 kg of grain i had whiskey smoke malt on hand...and i was going to make a mash for whiskey this time neway....:fro::drunk:

OG estimate 1.089

beersmith told me to mash with 11.62L of water....
then add 2.54L water to sparge with
my grain to water ratio was 2.8L per kg.

mash temp was 66C for 90 minnutes. when i looked at it at the end of the mash time at 90 min. my temp was down to 63. but a low light mash is what i was going for in this case.

MY specific gravity after mashing came to be 1.068....way offf. and I ended up with about 11.5L of mash.....

so where is the problem here..... should i not add the sparge water next time_...that it recommends. i have been getting this type of efficiency on all my brews... my grain mill is pretty nice. i use a small pasta roller, that is small old 70s style so its robust, I get a preceft grain crush so i doubt thats my problem. i crush pretty fine. i didnt mash out however with 76C water .....i just added the 2.5L water after the mash.... but i doubt that the mash out will raise my efficiency 10-15 %

any input would help guys, maybe im just having a hard time understanding how beersmith works since its not designed to biab brewers...

thanks fellas, would really like to figure it out soon, before i do my next batch because of these low gravity efficiencies It takes me like 6 or more hours to brew a small 2.5 gal batch because im always having to re boil and re adjust .....

o i think from what i can tell beersmith is telling me that my extra sparge water that it tells me to add ...even thooo i selected single infusion mash no sparge, is to make up for grain absorption... correct.....not sure if thats right it seems a little much for 4.15kg of grain to absorb 5.6l of water.....

Latest posts

Back