Eclipse Hysteria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
Don't look at the eclipse without special glasses or the magic eclipse-rays that are not produced by the Sun when the Moon isn't obstructing our view of the Sun will make you go blind and then kill your puppy. You will also transmit eclipse cancer to anyone else who looks into your eyes for the rest of your life.

#Don'tLookAtTheEclipse

Unrelated...check out my website to buy eclipse glasses. www.PeopleAreIdiots.com

Seriously, I am tired of people acting like there is something magical that happens when the Moon passes between the Earth and Sun that somehow makes it more dangerous to stare at the Sun.

It is more dangerous. For one something relatively uncommon is happening and people want to see it, so they will look at the sun. I've been more amazed at the people going on long searches for special glasses. Pin hole viewers are cheaper and after the eclipse you can recycle them. The glasses are just going to sit around cluttering the house.

Watch out, Aliens are going to use the darkness to mount and invasion.....

If that was their plan couldn't they just do it at night? That would give them more time at least. Well I guess if the aliens are really such poor strategists then we have nothing to worry about and should continue staring at the sun :mug:

It is more dangerous. For one something relatively uncommon is happening and people want to see it, so they will look at the sun. I've been more amazed at the people going on long searches for special glasses. Pin hole viewers are cheaper and after the eclipse you can recycle them. The glasses are just going to sit around cluttering the house.

Although welding masks are pretty good as eclipse glasses, and you can reuse those. Just so long as you buy a welder with them. </totally not angling for an excuse to buy a welder>

It is more dangerous.

No it is not more dangerous. If we really want to be truthful, it is less dangerous to stare at an eclipsed sun for 5 mins than to stare at at full-disk sun due to the fact that some of the insolation is blocked by the moon.

I haven't found a single story about a bunch of people losing their eyesight after an eclipse. There have been 24 Solar eclipses since the year 2000, the most recent one less than a year ago, and hundreds in "Modern History". Surely if a bunch of people lost their eyesight following an eclipse it would be a major story. Right?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html?starty=2000

My dog has already begun to tell me things .. just a whisper now, but he assures me that Monday he will be in full voice, walking on two legs, and wearing polarized Ray Bans. He also says that he will help me brew an EEEclipse Special. I'm skeptical. I think he'll just $hit in the back yard..

If you are in the path of totality or will be driving to see it, it will be something exciting and very rare. If you are just 100 miles out, it really isn't that exciting. The last total eclipse to cross this much of the US occurred in 1918. But the next will be coming quickly in 2024.

I predict there will be more injuries as a result of people wearing the eclipse-glasses than people who suffer eye damage from looking at the eclipse while not using glasses.

I can imagine people trying to drive with the glasses on, tripping over stuff while wearing them, falling off cliffs etc... The media coverage of this event is bananas.

No it is not more dangerous. If we really want to be truthful, it is less dangerous to stare at an eclipsed sun for 5 mins than to stare at at full-disk sun due to the fact that some of the insolation is blocked by the moon.

You misunderstand. I meant that the sun itself isn't more dangerous to look at during the eclipse ( and the reduced brightness isn't significant enough to not cause eye damage). It's more dangerous because people know that something is happening and people, collectively, are too stupid not to stare at the bright flaming ball in the sky even though it hurts.

They won't go blind but still causes eye damage, just like sun burns do to skin.

I have a sunroof in my car.

I also have a welding mask.

People should be more worried about being in my path that the sun's.

PSA: you need a shade 14 lens to look at the sun.

I am super excited. My place of work is only 5 miles from the centerline. About 2 and a half minutes of totality.

Thinking of leaving work early, grabbing a patio location, and starting happy hours about 6 hours early.

AIUI, the kinds of eye damage being warned against mostly don't cause immediate injury, but cause serious symptoms later in life. Things like macular degeneration, and damage to the lens and cornea. These also have additional genetic and environmental risk factors. When those symptoms appear, they can't be perfectly linked to staring at the sun, the same as skin cancer can't be linked to a specific case of sun burn. But excessive sun exposure still raises your risk of developing skin cancer significantly, and staring at the sun raises your risk of eye damage.

As someone who's grandparent had macular degeneration, and lost her sight 20 years before she died, I've been recommended to always wear sunglasses when outside on sunny days by my opthalmologist. Not doing so isn't going to make me go instantly blind, but it adds to the risk, and adds cumulative damage.

And risk to eclipse glasses are mitigating is from staring before and after totality, not during totality.

Aside from that, you'll also get a better view of the corona using eclipse glasses and be able to look longer with less eyestrain and resulting headaches.

Its the same Sun humans have been looking at for millenniums. Just because the Moon is passing between a large portion of the USA and the sun doesn't make it more dangerous to look at.

According to this source there were no solar eclipses visible in Oregon during the year (1963) he claimed to have damaged his vision.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/north-america.html?starty=1960&type=solar

The story linked specifically says it was an eclipse where the path of totality went over Alaska and Canada, which means it was July 20th, number 3 in your link. It would have been a partial eclipse in Oregon.

This calculation shows that Oregon would have seen between a partial eclipse of between 50% and 60% of totality.

Its the same Sun humans have been looking at for millenniums. Just because the Moon is passing between a large portion of the USA and the sun doesn't make it more dangerous to look at.

No, but it gives a reason to try and look at it despite the pain of doing so. Every other day, you don't try and stare at the sun.

OK, one single guy claims to have eye damage from looking at an eclipse. First I would have to question his intelligence, for certainly is doesn't justify the 3 months of media hysteria about the danger of looking at an eclipsed Sun.

Maybe the next time it gets cold we need a 3-month long campaign to prevent stupid people from getting frostbite from exposure or hypothermia because they thought it would be safe to swim in a frozen lake.

I guess you just can't prevent a few stupid people from doing stupid things.

OK, one single guy claims to have eye damage from looking at an eclipse. First I would have to question his intelligence, for certainly is doesn't justify the 3 months of media hysteria about the danger of looking at an eclipsed Sun.

Maybe the next time it gets cold we need a 3-month long campaign to prevent stupid people from getting frostbite from exposure or hypothermia because they thought it would be safe to swim in a frozen lake.

I guess you just can't prevent a few stupid people from doing stupid things.
There also won't be 3 months of media hysteria about how you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience the amazing spectacle of standing out in the cold or swimming in a frozen lake before it gets cold next.

FFS! I would have thought given the evens of the past 12 months in this country, you'd have come to accept that it's more than a "few" stupid people running around.

Hard to disagree with that, but I would say its closer to 12 years.

I have to wonder what they thought might happen...

Capture.JPG

i don't know how anyone could have stared at the sun even for a fraction second when it was 95% covered (yay 2.5 minutes of totality for me). Even then you had to wrap your hands around the glasses because the glare off your face was enough to hurt your eyes.

It was hard enough trying to get a pic with the cell phone camera just having to look up to that area of the sky even with good sunglasses.

Something tells me there was more involved than just stupidity here, like drugs.

When I came home to watch the partial eclipse (87%) with my wife, she said we had to lock the dogs in the house because they can go blind during a solar eclipse. (she read that online somewhere) :smack:

We used welding lenses. I had various shades, and a 10 and a 5 stacked together was about right, and a 8 and 9 was good too just a little darker. I didn't trust the "eclipse glasses".

I've seen several significant partial eclipses but never a total one. Would have driven to Lincoln, NE but didn't want to fight the traffic and then have it be cloudy. I'm starting to make plans to see the Texas total eclipse in April a few years from now (2024?) As a bonus, the bluebonnets should be in bloom.

96 here in Atlanta. And no I didn't look with eyes. I did notice a huge temp drop though...which seems to debunk any globull warming b.s..

anyone who didn't see the total eclipse should plan to make a trip in 2024 where there is totality. a partial eclipse is cool but you don't even really notice much until you get >90% covered. even that is pretty boring as you have to look through crazy dark glasses.

The few seconds before totality and the next 2 and half minutes were probably the coolest sensory experience I've ever had.... darkness racing across the sky, rapid temperature change, unusual light color & intensity, sounds (animals and insects), shadows, planets visible during the day, and of course just looking up into the sky and seeing the corona of the sun around the moon and it's no brighter than a full moon.

Latest posts

Back