Ebrewing and immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFryan

Reaction score
So after having no choice but to convert my brew rig to electric from propane (due to an hoa rule) I am finally ready to go. An electrician friend wired a 220 4 prong dryer plug into my basement next to my panel tied to a 40am GFCI breaker. I built a basic controller with an auberin SSRV and 240 v on off switch. I put 2 - 5500 w elements (one in my HLT one in my boil kettle). Now tomorrow is the maiden voyage of my new system.

I have one concern though. I still have an immersion chiller that was used with my old setup. After I'm finished with the boil and unplug the element.. Can the chiller rest on the element safely without breaking it? I was thinking of putting copper legs on it to raise it slightly about the element. It seems to feel pretty solid and durable though. If its not going to hurt anything i was going to let it just rest on top of the element for the time being or until I get a pump and plate chiller?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Probably, but my decision would be to use something other than the element to support the chiller. That said, I've never tried it.

Take a ring or two at the bottom and work it so there is a separation from the rest of the coils. You should be able to then angle the chiller and slide the two bottom coils under the element. This is what I did and made sure to lock down the chiller tubes together.

Take a ring or two at the bottom and work it so there is a separation from the rest of the coils. You should be able to then angle the chiller and slide the two bottom coils under the element. This is what I did and made sure to lock down the chiller tubes together.

Thanks man it worked perfect! Great suggestion. Thanks again !

If case anyone else is searching for a solution to this, here's mine. I brew 5 gal batches in an 11 gallon pot, e-converted. My element is around the 1-2 gallon mark, which means there's not a ton of liquid above it. I reworked my 50' immersion chiller into two concentric coils - one smaller than the other. This makes it pretty compact, vertically. Then I purchased a piece of perforated stainless which I made into an angled tent that goes over my coil. At around 20 minutes left in the boil, I drop the stainless tent in and it sits above the coil and gives me something to rest the chiller on. Works great. The only problem some might have is the stainless plate has developed a stable black corrosion from being boiled. Now i don't have to worry about putting strain on my coil or getting more complicated with my brew setup.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back