EBIAB Element size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasone

Reaction score
I have a 15gal More Beer kettle and I'm having to switch to eBIAB due to living in an apartment. Bad news is that I don't have access to a 240v output unless I want to drag my stove out of the way everytime I brew. I was going to go with a 2250 120v element since it would be cheaper. The most boil volume I would have in one sitting is 9gal due to the boil off of my kettle. Would this be enough to get to a boil with that volume?

Simply, no.

I mean, there are variables. Ambient temp. Kettle insulation.

But 2200W, 7000BTU, is really pushing it.

You may not know for sure, until you try.

I used to run a 5500W at 60%, so 3300W, or 10,300BTU, to maintain a decent boil, in a 15gal kettle.

9 gallons x 8.34 lbs per gallon x 50F to reach boiling = 3753 BTUs to reach 210F from 160F. That's a theoretical 32 mins to reach a boil, not counting losses to ambient.

I have a 20amp breaker that is on a 20amp GFCI so the breaker shouldn't be the problem.

Each pound of water vapor requires 1000BTUs. To boil one gallon per hour, will require 8.34lbs x 1000 BTUs. Even with zero losses, you will not reach a gallon per hour boil off.

Like I said, you can try it with water, what's the worst that can happen?

Yeah, I can get a 5500w element...my deck is about 30 feet from the 240v plugin for the oven so that might be the avenue I take. Anyone know of a good yet inexpensive 240v extension cord that I can use? lol

If you understand your circuits you can create your own 220 just by grabbing 2 110vac feeds from different sides of your breaker box. Much easier than it sounds. I brew in basement. I could have a 220 but I started with two 110 heaters so I just put the feeds together for a 220. They were already balanced, both sides of box.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back