EBIAB Concord pot..Rigged??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
After speaking with Concord they said on there 80 qt pot the basket sits on the bottom of the pot with nothing to support it for the element to fit.He said people "rig" a hoist to hold the basket up.I cant imagine doing that.How are all of you doing EBIAB with this pot

I've seen people using stainless steel bolts and nuts to let the basket sit off the bottom of the kettle. And you could get a pulley system to hold the basket off the element also... Or get one of the smaller kettles cause they hold it off the bottom cause of a lip. Just a few options

I've seen people using stainless steel bolts and nuts to let the basket sit off the bottom of the kettle. And you could get a pulley system to hold the basket off the element also... Or get one of the smaller kettles cause they hold it off the bottom cause of a lip. Just a few options
I just thought because so many here use this pot it was "set it and forget it" kinda surprised me it needed to be rigged a bit.Is that what everyone does?

I believe concord also makes a steamer bottom pan that sits in the bottom of the kettle raised a about 3".

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

They do have the steamer tray, which sits about 3" off the bottom, which is probably sufficient clearance for a heater element just below it. I received this when I purchased my Concord 80 qt Tri-ply kettle from their warehouse. It's the perfect height for BIAB, since it sits just over the weldless bulkhead and holds the bag up off the bottom, which is useful to me to keep my mash temps constant using a Blichmann burner. I have it rigged up with a length of 12 ga bare copper wire that I hang off the side of the kettle during the mash, and then after removing the bag, use this to pull the steamer tray out of the kettle for the boil. It works great. In this configuration, I've done 11 gallon (fermenter volume) batches with over 30 lbs of grain. Overall, it works quite well. The only issue is that if you recirculate during the mash, you need to be careful to not pull too much of a vacuum, as the legs on the tray are not very sturdy and can get bent, similar to what some experience using false bottoms in a standard mash tun.

Latest posts

Back