eBIAB 2 4500 elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdawghop

Reaction score
This is the begining of my eBIAB build and I wanted to know if anyone is doing a single vessel system with two 4500w elements. What may or may not be the advantages? Also plan to get this PID http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1KT0JM1346 .
I looked through the list of P-J's diagrams and could not find one that shows two 4500w elemnts with out a pump. Thanks for any info!

What size batches? The advantage to running two 240v 4500w elements vs., say one 5500w element is that you will reach mash and boil temperatures faster. The disadvantages are that you will need to size everything to account for that amperage draw. Frankly, unless you are talking really big batches, using 30 gallon kettles or larger, I don't see it being worth it.

Much more valuable, IMO, would be having a pump so that you can recirculate and maintain tight mash temperatures. Otherwise, you will have to stir frequently.

Regarding the PID, it will certainly work, but it comes with a K type thermocouple. A PT100 RTD sensor is more accurate and less fussy.

Batch size no more than 10 gal (12.5) pre boil. When I chose 2 elements I was thinking quicker mash and boil times but I am not married to this idea. When you say fuzzy I suppose you mean variance or swing in temp readings or do you mean the display will be fuzzy?

Fussy, not fuzzy, but I agree my language was not precise. What I meant was that while you can certainly get accurate temperature readings from a K-type thermocouple, you are more likely to get accurate temperature readings from an RTD sensor under a broader set of conditions. There's a decent summary here.

http://www.smartsensors.com/spec.htm

A single 5500W element is plenty to boil 12 gallons and will heat up faster than most propane burners.

Make sure you have a method to control the element power during the boil. MyPin TD4 should have this feature (manual/PWM mode)

Back