Ebay wine cooler fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allaway

Reaction score
Hi there,
I found these today on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Bottle-W...H_DefaultDomain_0&quantity=1&autorefresh=true

They look as if they would be perfect for a 1-bucket fermentation chamber. But seeing as they are not branded and I have no way of testing them out, I was wondering if anyone had pulled the trigger and bought one of these for use as a fermentation chamber. If so - do they easily fit a 6.5 gallon bucket? They look as if they might.

I have not, but it looks like it would be cutting it close (especially if you need to use a blow off tube). BUT, it would be sweet to have a clear door!

As an alternate, don't you think you could find a mini fridge (new or used) for <$145 and add an STC1000 to it? A friend gave me her old college fridge and i bought an STC1000 for <$25 w/ an enclosure, added a 2" extension to the fridge and re-attached the door to make my ferm chamber for under $40.

I like the idea, but I personally enjoy DIY projects more.

As an alternate, don't you think you could find a mini fridge ...

With a mini fridge, can you set up heating and cooling (so you could program a temp range to stay between)? Is it strictly cooling? Or does it depend on the model?

With a mini fridge, can you set up heating and cooling (so you could program a temp range to stay between)? Is it strictly cooling? Or does it depend on the model?

Make sure you get the STC1000+. It has a cooling and heating option. I chose to neglect the heating as I am in the south and the fridge stays in my closet. However, when I move back north and brew in my garage, I will either use a lamp inside a paint bucket or order a ceramic heater for the inside of my fridge. I wouldn't worry about any "over heating issues" as long as you properly install your heating device.

Search the forum for the STC1000... there's 100's of post about it! Feel free to PM me with particular questions and I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

I have not, but it looks like it would be cutting it close (especially if you need to use a blow off tube). BUT, it would be sweet to have a clear door!

As an alternate, don't you think you could find a mini fridge (new or used) for <$145 and add an STC1000 to it? A friend gave me her old college fridge and i bought an STC1000 for <$25 w/ an enclosure, added a 2" extension to the fridge and re-attached the door to make my ferm chamber for under $40.

I like the idea, but I personally enjoy DIY projects more.

Wow - that seems like a great project. So you essentially added a vertical collar to avoid the compressor hump? Did you need to cut anything out?

I have one I built into a new section of countertop/cabinets I built in the kitchen. I don't use it for homebrew, it's just our beverege cooler.
I fermenter of any type wouldn't fit. the bottom back half is the compressor.
Look for a smaller chest freezer and use that, much more effecient and if you do ever have a mess it's contained. I have two smaller ones, one I made into a keezer after using it for a fermentation chamber for a few years and then got another one that I use as a fermentation chamber now.
Of course this all depends on your space availible but I think there are better options out there.
good luck.

The description suggests this cooler uses a Peltier module for temperature control. I'd be a bit suspicious that such a system would provide adequate thermal performance for things like cold-crashing, and it might even be marginal for keeping a big beer in the throes of max krausen under control.

I'd opt for something with an actual compressor...

Cheers!

Reviving an old post to see if there is any new experience.

I see a number of the coolers that allaway asked about originally still on eBay. They do look like thermoelectric coolers, with

"Internal Dimensions: 13.4"(width)X12.6"(depth)x27.8"(height) "

That would be good for my size batches (using a Brew Demon small conical).

Any experience out there ... particularly will they hold temperature for ale fermentation (maybe setpoint of 60 to 65 F) without an external temperature control?

Thanks.

Back