Easy weldless/solderless bulkhead for Coleman 48 qt rectangular cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
Hey all,

Cracked my mash tun cooler, and rebuilding a bulkhead. I have a copper pipe manifold which already fits this cooler, just want to come up with a decent bulkhead which doesn't require soldering or welding. Can anyone give me some guidance for a simple parts list? Ideally, supplied from the local Home Depot. My manifold output is 9/16 OD, and need to pass through about
1 3/4" of cooler wall. Would prefer to have the washers on the cooler wall rather than cutting through the insulation.

Thanks!

-Mike

Hey Mike, not sure what type cooler you had, but I often add a small piece of larger plaster pipe over the nipple portion of the bulkhead to prevent the cracking around the drain. A spacer between the walls.

With a 1/2" brass, copper, or ss nipple approximately 2-3" long thru the original cooler washer, followed by a couple of ss washers inside and then the FPT adapter to transition to your copper manifold. The spacer to prevent compaction of the walls around the nipple, than some zinc washers, then the ball valve. Pipe tape is a must both sides. If you can keep the nipple threads on the inside of the original washer using the washers, will help avoid leaks. I also used a silicone washer between the original and the washers. Clear as mud?

Latest posts

Back