easy theif hole in my fermenter, bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
I was thinking of drilling a 1" hole in the lid of my fermenter, then plugging with a rubber stopper (like you'd use for a carboy, but without the hole). That way, i can pull the plug, theif out a sample for reading, and reduce exposure to air. This also gives me a way to see if krausen has fallen to add in a dry hop or other ideas.

Would the pressure of the fermentation blow the stopper out before the airlock bubbles? or should this be just fine? My beer physics are weak.

I have (2) 1" holes in all my lids, one for a thermowell and one for the airlock. I just pull my airlock to thief. I also just plug the open hole with duct tape sometimes if I'm low on stoppers.

I have drilled a 1" hole in all of my lids for just that same reason, I have not had any plugs blow out, the airlock takes so very little presser to bubble, just make sure its tight is all I do.

It works great!

Cheers :tank:
WiliECoyote

Back