Eastern PA, D.C, VA Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
We'll be traveling to the D.C. area this week to visit family. I'm planning on driving through Eastern PA, going to D.C. for a couple days, and MD. Are there any must stop breweries in these areas? :mug:

Oliver's in north Baltimore: long time brewer of English ales, but now making killer IPA's
Brookeville Beer Farm: in Montgomery Co., MD solid beers, awesome atmosphere
Denizen's: Silver Spring, MD, good beers, outdoor beer garden
Right Proper: DC, incredibly creative beers
3 Stars: DC, crappy, rundown industrial area with little parking, great taproom and beers
DC Brau: solid lineup with occasional killer IPA's

We'll be traveling to the D.C. area this week to visit family. I'm planning on driving through Eastern PA, going to D.C. for a couple days, and MD. Are there any must stop breweries in these areas? :mug:

So I assume your going to be coming down I81. I'd stop at Yuengling in Pottsville and take the tour, well worth it. Then get back on 81 and get off in Hershey and hit Troegs. When you get to Harrisburg stop at Pizza Boy Brewing. Right off of I83 around exit 4 is Gunpowder Falls which is decent. I would definitely stop at DuClaw in MD.

If your coming down I95 then Tired Hands, Neshaminy Creek, Manayunk, Victory, and Sly Fox in PA.

Tired Hands was a great stop outside Philly on a day trip. Highly recommend that.

In DC, I second Right Proper. They make some great stuff. Bluejacket near Nat's Park is great for lunch and some brews. As a beer bar, Birch and Barley on 14th St. in DC probably has the best selection or local and nationwide unique brews you'll be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

I am partial to the VA breweries as a lot of good ones have popped up in recent years. Ocelot and Aslin are my favorites and Adroit Theory makes some really unique stuff as well. Those three are about 30 minutes out west of DC.

Tired Hands, Victory, Troges and Sly Fox are great and also is Free Will in perkasie, Tower brewery in Chalfont, Weyerbacher In Easton and Round Guys in lansdale. Honestly you could make a trip just on breweries alone.

We've got some nice farmhouse breweries in Carroll County MD - Milkhouse and Red Shedman are both great (plus, Red Shedman is adjacent to Linganore Winery (on the same farm))

Depending on where you are and where you're going through I would try the following.

Troegs - Hershey, PA
Dogfish Head Ale House - 3 locations Gaithersburgh, MD, Falls Church, VA and another in VA. Not their brewery, but they have their beers on tap and great food.
Blue Jacket - DC (Navy Yard/Ball Park metro stop)
3 Star Brewing Co. - DC
Port City Brewing Co. - VA
Denizens Brewing Co. - DC
DC Brau - DC

Updated:
Fly Dog Brewing Co. - Frederick, MD (stopping by there later this week!)

7 Locks Brewery - Rockville, MD (still need to check it out)

I may have to try to hit Pizza Boy Brewing on my way back to NY from DC this Friday night!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely going to check out a few! I just looked up directions to one of them from my hotel and it's 40 minutes, 5 miles....I think I need to go back to the hills. Ha.

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely going to check out a few! I just looked up directions to one of them from my hotel and it's 40 minutes, 5 miles....I think I need to go back to the hills. Ha.

Yeah that's the crazy thing down here. I've been traveling down here from WNY for 5+ years and it's just starting to seem normal to me when I'm in the area.

If you want to drive out to the Dulles area, there is Aslin and Ocelot. In DC, I like the bar scene at The Black Squirrel, Smoke & Barrel, Pizza Port, and Church Key. In MD, I like all the above as well as Owen's Ordinary which features local MD breweries.

Back