East Bay Calif. brewers - the water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people on this board that live and brew in the EBMUD water district. I'm sure you've all heard the news about how they're changing the tap water source and how the taste will be affected. What do you plan to do to treat your brewing water?

I have not heard this. But I am guilty of not really being "in-tune" with whats going on with our water. I am in Walnut Creek, and I guess we will see how it affects brewing. Do you have any links or info on what is going ot happen? Where is the new source?

I am not on EBMUD, but in an area of ACWD that the water comes from different sources depending on the time of year. I just bit the bullet and got a RO system and adjust the water for the beer I am making. I never tested the water but you can tell by the taste when they switch sources on us.

SFGiantsFan, just one article of many the last couple days: http://www.contracostatimes.com/bre...e-smell-water-is-about-change-ebmud-customers

The source reservoir is the same, just from a higher-up valve where the water is warmer and supports more algal growth.

Thanks for the link. The article is pretty vague, but the fact that there will be "leftover chemical compounds" is the part that gets me. Is it from the algae itself or is it from the "filtering" they will be doing? Very interesting. This drought is changing things so much in the state, and nothing for the better. Its so scary to think how next year would be if it doesnt rain this coming fall/ winter.

I just brewed today for the first time in a LONG time, and I was super conscious about not using any extra water at all. I only ran my IC for about 5 minutes, to get it to about 110 degrees, and cooled it the rest in my ferm fridge. Took longer, but saved probably 15+ gallons of water. And the water that came out of the IC I collected in a bucket and used it to clean everything after. Just a few small steps to try and conserve as much as possible. Scary times here in California.

Back