Ease my mind please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpierce3

Reaction score
Ok first off ,love the site and all the great info. I have read and think i have a idea of what i need to do, just want to confirm with the more experienced people on here. I brewed 2 ale extract kits and put them in the primary 2 weeks ago. I plan on transferring both to a secondary and sit for a week. After a week i will put both in the fridge at about 40 degress for a day. I am running a dual gauge regulator to a 4 way manifold with one Co2 tank. 2 of those will go to the homebrew kegs and the third to a 15gallon keg.Im pretty confident with those times but here is where i have concern. After the day of cold crashing it it will have been 23 days since it was put in the primary. I have 10 days from that time that i want these to be ready to drink. its my understanding i can set to 30psi for about 36 hours(one going to 15g keg will be shut off at this time) , purge it then set to about 12 psi and open the 15g keg line and let sit for the remaining 7 days before the event. Does this sound about right? I have read that if i set and forget at the 12 psi it could take from 5-21 days so i dont want to risk it not being done in the 10 day time slot. My other concern was the 30 psi at 36 hours and purge method would still work with 2 lines from a 4 way distributor since it should be equal psi going to both kegs correct? Sorry for the long post just want to make sure everything is percect on crawfish boil day! Thanks for any feedback

I typically set my regulator to about 24 psi for a couple days and then reduce to 10-12 psi. I get full carbonation in about a week. As long as you close the line to your 15g keg you'll be fine.

If you have a choice, do not transfer into secondary but cold crash the primary after that third week. Then transfer to the keg.

Brulosophy had a writeup of carb techniques, http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/12/sparkle-fizz-methods-for-carbonation/. Basically if you have 10 days from kegging to drinking, I would think that cswis86 has it about right. I've only got experience with 5 gal corny kegs, so I don't know about bigger kegs.

ok thanks! cswis86 i assume u dont purge the gas after a couple days? just push in 24 psi for a few days, dial it down to serving pressure then good to go without purging the gas? and stell_tigre i do have a choice i just figured putting in a secondary would help to clarify it a bit more.

To be safe I would shut the CO2 valve on your distributor, purge the CO2 out of the headspace, turn down the regulator to serving pressure, then open everything back up. I had an instance where I left the psi up too high for too long and when I dialed the regulator down beer shot up through the CO2 line and into the regulator because the pressure in the keg was higher than what I set the regulator for. Purging will prevent that.

I also agree with stella about skipping the transfer to secondary.

ok thats what i needed to know thanks for the responses.. is the skipping because of risk of contamination and oxygen or is it just not really needed?

A little of both. You'll get good clarity from a 2-3 day cold crash and it will be one less carboy to clean!

ok thats what i needed to know thanks for the responses.. is the skipping because of risk of contamination and oxygen or is it just not really needed?

If you fine with gelatin while you cold crash that will help drop out floaties and also help with clearing up the beer. No secondary will give you a couple days to cold crash to really clear out the beer. You can even drop to 34-36 degrees if you can.

yea ill leave it in the primary for 20 days, cold crash with gelatin for 3 days. then carb it up and get the carbination dialed in , ill have 10 days to do that.. thanks for all the help

Back