E brew supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfish713

Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of their kits? I came across their website while flipping they BYO and seen the ad. The price for the kits look good but I am just looking in to electric brewing and not sure of there quality. I have not seen much info on them it's mostly auber stuff just. Looking for feedback pros cons bcs vs pid

Their stuff is fine, and their support is good. I have one of this kits, and they even put together a custom diagram for me. There were a few things that got missed in shipping, but they had it sent to me fairly quickly.

agree with everyone else. They are a great vendor and I have ordered a lot of stuff from them for my new 50a system.

Ok thanks for the input on them. Now what does everyone prefer there bcs or the pid. I think I am leaning toward there pid would rather have it all info on the control box and not have to go to a web site to set up everything. my luck my computer would freeze up half way thru my day.

Ordered a 30a PID setup.
Got an email from the owner telling me the status (a nice reassurance as I wait), should have it next week. Im excited :rockin:

Ok thanks for the input on them. Now what does everyone prefer there bcs or the pid. I think I am leaning toward there pid would rather have it all info on the control box and not have to go to a web site to set up everything. my luck my computer would freeze up half way thru my day.

The BCS can be more automated. If you arent going to use the automation, just go with the PIDs. You can also convert to a BCS later, if you change your mind.

also consider that if the bcs module craps out, it will cost $250-300 to replace. pids are much cheaper ($30-40).

lots of different manufacturers make pids and they aren't going away anytime soon whereas embedded control systems could be out of business tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys looks like I am going to be ordering soon can't wait to start brewing again been out of it for a few years and miss it. Not that I can do all grain in my house is even better. Any other input will be appreciated.

My build is with their kit (30a).
LOVE it and they even sent me a free E-Brew beer glass with a replacement part they forgot to include when I first ordered (was an an honest mistake around the holidays)

They are indeed top notch.

Welcome back to brewing! I can't speak for their kits, but I ordered some wire and braided sleeving for my build, and they have quality stuff and reasonable shipping.

John

I ordered a 50 amp pid control panel.
I wanted the logging and charting that came with the bcs but some of the cons kinda bothered me too.
I also do not want to go through a computer interface to brew.
so I spoke with the owner and ordered with a few custom touches including a custom designed logging capability.
and extra pump control.
and voltage and amp display meters.
ryan has been a stand up guy.

I ordered a 50 amp pid control panel.

I wanted the logging and charting that came with the bcs but some of the cons kinda bothered me too.

I also do not want to go through a computer interface to brew.

so I spoke with the owner and ordered with a few custom touches including a custom designed logging capability.

and extra pump control.

and voltage and amp display meters.

ryan has been a stand up guy.

Intrigued about the custom logging - can you elaborate on that please?

He is adding some hardware programing and a port to hook to my computer.
With a simple software download it will log and record to my computer giving me a log of up heat and mash times.

This is what I wanted from the bcs version.
Now I can have the best of both worlds.
He has done it before in-house but has not offered it as a upgrade as of yet.
I predict he will soon.
I can see it being a big hit with the people who like the hands on but want some charting as well.

E-Brew Supply had been TERRIFIC to deal with! Ryan (and Katie) were very helpful and good communicators when I was putting my system together.

Very happy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

dmc

This is what I wanted from the bcs version.
Now I can have the best of both worlds.
He has done it before in-house but has not offered it as a upgrade as of yet.
I predict he will soon.
I can see it being a big hit with the people who like the hands on but want some charting as well.

That is exactly what I want!! When I get to (someday) automate.

Hello. Jumping into this thread since I just came across ebrewsupply. I had previously been looking at TheElectricBrewery site and it seems EBrewSupply prices are substantially lower. At TheElectricBrewery a unassembled kit is going for $1400+, does not include the power cable or temp sensors (30amp for use with 2 Elements as a HERMS), but ebrewsupply is selling a preassembled 30a PID controller with 3 temp sensors and the cable. I mean, that sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have any input on TheElectricBrewery in comparison to EBrewSupply?

Hello. Jumping into this thread since I just came across ebrewsupply. I had previously been looking at TheElectricBrewery site and it seems EBrewSupply prices are substantially lower. At TheElectricBrewery a unassembled kit is going for $1400+, does not include the power cable or temp sensors (30amp for use with 2 Elements as a HERMS), but ebrewsupply is selling a preassembled 30a PID controller with 3 temp sensors and the cable. I mean, that sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have any input on TheElectricBrewery in comparison to EBrewSupply?

i purchased and buikt one of the ebrewsupply 30a pid kits just a few months ago. i was also looking at kal's panels but at the end of the day, i went with ebrewsupply. their complete kits includes main power cord, rtds, rtd cables, xlr connectors and pump connectors for several hundred dollars less than theelectricbrewery. the ebrewsupply panels are also available as stainless if desired and use din rail components, with the rails pre-mounted to the back panel. no need to drill holes in the back panel to mount components.

their are a couple differences you should be aware of though. theelectricbrewery panels come with amp and volt meter displays as well as protective 'handles' on the face and top, the ebrewsupply enclosures do not.

also, the pre-punched enclosures from theelectricbrewery are professionally powder coated and painted. the ebrewsupply standard painted panels are available pre-cut but are not primed or painted. the cuts are a little rough as well (splatter). i needed to file down the rougher edges as well as sand/prime/paint the whole thing. the ebrewsupply panel will work just fine without any additional painting but will have that 'once caught on fire' look due to the cut burns (laser scorches the enclosure paint around the cut).

you'll need to assemble the temp probe cables yourself with ebrewsupply so you'll need to do some soldering. i do not believe ebrewsupply sells complete cable assemblies but theelectricbrewery does.

Ryan has added an option recently for volt and amp meters for 125.
Also an added pump switch option for 44 I believe...i would have to look.
I added both as well as the stainless box.
I got a complete 50 amp panel with elements, cables ,probes ,triclamp element enclosures...the whole nine yards assembled... cheaper that a 50 amp box alone from electric brewery...was a no brainer for me.
Should be here soon...��

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of ordering a DIY kit with a couple upgrades from ebrewsupply. I'm glad I found their site.

When different parts are used, prices will of course vary. You can buy a chinese made plug for $15, or you can buy an american made UL listed one for $40-50.

Make sure to look at the quality of parts used whenever assessing any vendor.

With our TheElectricBrewery.com kits and pre-built panels we place reliability, performance and safety over cost. For example, we're on our 3rd switch vendor now and no longer use cheaper Chinese switches anymore (the ones I originally used in my prototype panel). The ones we use now are 150% more expensive than our previous ones which were already more expensive than the originals I used on my prototype.

YMMV.

Kal

When different parts are used, prices will of course vary. You can buy a chinese made plug for $15, or you can buy an american made UL listed one for $40-50.

Make sure to look at the quality of parts used whenever assessing any vendor.

With our TheElectricBrewery.com kits and pre-built panels we place reliability, performance and safety over cost. For example, we're on our 3rd switch vendor now and no longer use cheaper Chinese switches anymore (the ones I originally used in my prototype panel). The ones we use now are 150% more expensive than our previous ones which were already more expensive than the originals I used on my prototype.

YMMV.

Kal

Thanks Kal. I do understand that costs will change between vendors. I'll keep this in mind when making my final decision. I'll need to do some more research on what parts are being used as you mentioned. With your pre-built panel being almost $700 more than the others and then on top of that still needing to build/buy the probes and power cord that just seems like a large difference in costs for materials. No doubt your panels have lead the way as far as quality and process goes. It seems now that electric brewing is catching on a bit more there are starting to become a lot of vendors who are also offering services atlower costs. Even SpikeBrewing (who I'll be getting all my kettles from) offer a turn key electric system for around $1600.

With your pre-built panel being almost $700 more than the others and then on top of that still needing to build/buy the probes and power cord that just seems like a large difference in costs for materials.
I would argue that it's actually low. Remember the $15 -> $40-50 plug comparison I made earlier. That's only one part (hundreds are used) that varies in price by 300% so you could technically build one panel that's 3x the price of another. Have it built in a UL certified facility to get the entire panel UL/cUL listed as an assembly (the way BrewMation does) and you can expect the price to go up again by another factor of 2-3.

So to the untrained eye it appears odd as it appears you can buy the same thing for $X, or 5-9 times $X. So it all depends on what your needs are/what your expectations are. You can buy a many cars with 4 wheels and 4 doors that all take you from A to B that vary in price greatly from $15K to 150K. Know your needs, know what you're getting (not always easy to do).

Price of a product does not only reflect cost of materials either. There's more than that goes into any product. There's quality of the labour, knowledge of the staff, there's support, and so forth. Most electronics/electrical stuff will have a bill of materials (the parts that go into making the device) that is only 20-30% of the consumer cost. (For example, it costs Apple just over $200 to build an iPhone, but they sell for more than three times that).

Ask any store questions before you buy (not just pre-sales questions but the sort of support question you may ask after you've spent your hard earned money). It's not uncommon for any retailer to answer pre-sales questions quickly and post sales support questions completely differently (or not at all). For electrical panels I'd ask for pictures of the insides. This is something that should always be shown (IMHO). It shows attention to detail and quality of the work. Ask what certifications/experience they have building/designing electrical stuff too. Where'd they learn? How long have they been doing this? Are they accredited? Are they building in a UL facility?

It seems now that electric brewing is catching on a bit more there are starting to become a lot of vendors who are also offering services at lower costs.
Very much so. That happens in all industries but is very true with electric brewing I posted free build instructions for anyone to follow and many are building/selling regardless of past experience or knowledge in electrical/electronics work. Many have come and gone. It's unfortunate but because of this free information I now get almost daily emails from people asking if I can assist in fixing panels built by others. Something I never realized would happen. (We did a few panel fixes 6-7 years ago when the emails starting coming in but it quickly turned out to be a giant can of worms as we realized that we'd be responsible for the proper functioning of this unit going forwards. So often we found it prudent to redo the wiring entirely which at the end of the day was more work than just building a new panel from scratch).

There's certainly a lot more options today which can help satisfy buyers at all levels. Choice is good!

Good luck with your setup!

Kal

Good luck with your setup!

Thanks Kal. I certainly do appreciate the feedback and suggestions in what to look for. The panel you have was the first one I came across (obviously because you have a superb reputation and have left a major impact on the world of electric brewing). The panel from TheElectricBrewery certainly is not out of the question and having it built in a UL facility is a major plus as I'm hoping to use the panel in a small nano brewery I'm planning on opening. Compromising safety is certainly not what I'm looking for, however as you know costs need to be managed, and by that mean approved by the wife haha.

I appreciate you time and feedback. I may have more questions as I get closer to making a final decision.

The panel from TheElectricBrewery certainly is not out of the question and having it built in a UL facility is a major plus as I'm hoping to use the panel in a small nano brewery I'm planning on opening.
Ours are not built in a UL facility. I only mention it as the types of questions you may want ask, depending on what's important to you. ;) Sorry if I misled! UL facility built panels would be considerably more expensive.

If you intend on using these products commercially I would highly suggest you talk to your electrician and/or inspector first to see what the requirements are as rules/regulations vary by location. If approval is deemed necessary, you may be able to request that a "Field Evaluation" be done on location by an inspector. Many commercial locations are using our control panel. An example:

BrooklynBrewery.jpg

(I love how the 20 gallon kettles are dwarfed by the 50bbl fermenter) ;)

I appreciate you time and feedback. I may have more questions as I get closer to making a final decision.

You're welcome! Feel free to email me directly too at [email protected] if you like - it's usually the fastest way to get in touch with me (I usually try to respond within a few hours).

Cheers!

Kal

Everything arrived a couple weeks ago.
Then I went on vacation for a week...
First thing I did when I got home was install and tinker.
Everything is spot on and neat.
Ran auto tune and ran it wet with no issues at all.
Gonna fire up a 25 gallon batch Monday.
So I have yet to set up the charting software but I will before we run it.
I tried to share photos but for some reason I cannot..
Not sure why but I assure you it's quite impressive and am very proud to show it to other brewers who usually respond with...damn.lol

Sticking with any single vendor for everything is not going to be the most cost effective route. Nothing wrong with it but your going to pay more for some stuff and get better pricing on other things.. for example things like the heating elements can be bought direct for much less. I found the ones ebrew sells for a fraction of what they sell them for. It really boils down to how much your time is worth. It's convenient to buy everything at one place but could easily cost you 30-100% more overall too.

It was more of a convenient thing for the elements to be ordered at the same place.
I pieced my tanks and valves and other components from many different vendors.
But when I shopped around for a control panel I saw E Brew supply's tri clamp element enclosures ...so when I ordered the panel I included those with the appropriate elements.
I guess I could have ordered elements somewhere else but did not see the point.
They arrived with everything else with no shipping charge.
After all the time and money I have invested in everything as a whole I was not sweating a few dollars here or there.

Latest posts

Back