E Bay scam alert warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HALIFAXHOPS

Reaction score
I just received this in my junk box of my e-mail.. I never had this transaction. New Scam?
Nothing from e-bay in the messages. Sure did look like it came from e-bay, had an item number and if yu ran the number it asked your securiy question.

You got my $500 2 weeks ago and there is no response from you .. I reported you to PayPal and if you don`t answer in 2 days i will contact FBI..

- andrews92122

Were there links in the email? If so, hover (do not click) over them and see where they lead. Also, check the details of the sender's email. You should be able to somehow expand the view and see where the email really came from. If you know you didn't have a transaction then you can bet it is a scam. Go into your PP account and see if there is a $500 balance. I bet there isn't. Navigate to PP on your own, don't use any supplied link.

Probably just fishing to get your e-bay account so they can either hijack it for their own use, or so they can clean out your PayPal account.

My PayPal and E-Bay accounts are linked now. It doesn't even prompt me for a password when I pay for something. Seems a little dangerous.

Definite scam... The FBI would not get involved in an eBay payment dispute. They have better things to do. Just a scare tactic.

I'm not sure what you use for email, but I use Gmail and they generally filter out phishing emails, although if one slips through, there's a "report phishing" button in the menu which takes care of it for you. Also Gmail will put a key icon on emails that legitimately originate from a well known vendor. If I don't see a key on something like this, I know to investigate further. That might be a lab option that's off by default though.

I used to get those all the time. Definitely a scam and definitely not new, not by a long shot. If you log into your actual eBay account and don't see the same message in your message inbox, that's a pretty clear sign it's fake. Just delete and ignore.

Also check the sender's email address. Usually its similar to, but not identical to the domain name from a legit eBay email message.

Back