duration of first runnings question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
Hello
I just completed my first all grain batch! I chose to batch sparge and used a coleman xtreme 70quart rectangular cooler with a hose braid drain. I was surprised at how long it took for both first and second runnings and wanted to see if I was doing something wrong. I was doing a 5 gallon batch with a 7 gallon pre-boil volume. It took about 40 minutes each time for the cooler to completely drain (two runnings - each 3.5 gallons). One of the main reasons I chose to batch sparge is to save time and it seems like I should be able to drain 3.5 gallons faster than 40 minutes. Is there something wrong with my drain? Is this a normal amount of time for my set up? Is my cooler too large for 5 gallon batches? My efficiency was good so I feel like it worked well but just took forever. Any thoughts would be great and thanks,
Ben

Congrats on your first ag batch. Get another going soon!

What were you using to control the flow? I use ball valves and I can drain 3.5 gallons in a few minutes if the valves are fully open. Yeah, it took a longer time to drain, but you did get a better efficiency as a result of that. If you don't mind the extra time, your efficiencies will be right up there. Your cooler isn't too large, in my opinion. I think you can spray the bed much easier with your setup than you can with a round cooler, plus you can handle huge batches. Mine max is a 10 gallon and I can get about 25# of grain in there, maybe a tad more. But, it is round. Gotta make a rectangular one next.

I'd been having the same problem; I thought it was due to too small of a braid diameter. I had been keeping the outlet tubing submerged in the collection pot to avoid "hot side aeration". However, when I pulled the tube out of the liquid, the flow increased by a factor of 10 or more! Guess there was a vacuum keeping it from completely draining at a reasonable speed.

Thanks for the reply. I used a ball valve (1/2 inch). I did thread a heavy guage steel coil through the hose drain to keep it from flattening or floating up in the grain bed. Maybe that caused it to drain so slow? I have read that draining fast is good in batch sparging which is why I was concerned.

Interesting point about the vacuum, I will try keeping the tubing just above the liquid next time and see if that helps. By the way, what is a reasonable amount of time to expect to drain 3.5 gallons from a cooler like mine?

Speed of run off has nothing to do with batch sparging efficiency. You may need to start slower to avoid compacting the grain bed. After a bit let her rip wide open. The second running usually runs faster.

Back