Dunkelweizen critque

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
Dunkelweizen
All Grain (5.00 gal) ABV: 5.14 %
OG: 1.054 SG FG: 1.015 SG
IBUs: 14.8 IBUs Color: 21.6 SRM

Ingredients

4.0 oz - Chocolate Malt
4 lb - Munich Malt
4.0 oz - Rice Hulls
5 lb - Wheat Malt, Dark
1 lb - Caramel Wheat Malt

0.75 oz - Hallertauer
Boil 60 min (13.9 IBUs)
0.25 oz - Hallertauer
Boil 5 min (0.9 IBUs)

1 pkg - Weihenstephan Weizen

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge

What do you guys think? Am I in the ball park?

I've done something very similar (.5#carawheat and 4oz chocolate wheat malt with the same amount of munich and dark wheat, similar IBUs and same yeast). The dark wheat and munich are both fairly low in diastic power, so definitely give it a longer than normal mash to insure conversion.

Other than that, looks good. You can omit the late hop addition, you won't notice a quarter ounce of hallertau over that maltbill and that yeast. Save it for a blonde ale or something.

You may want to add some melonoidin malt to emulate a decoction. It will add to the breadiness of the beer. I would personally use some caramunich 40 and 80 instead of the crystal wheat. This will add some depth to the flavor in the way of dried fruits and increased malt profile. Finally cutting back the chocolate to 2 oz would prevent any chance of roasted flavors entering the mix.

Latest posts

Back