Dumping new wort in un-washed fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-stone

Reaction score
I am a person who has a hard time getting around, any shortcut is worth taking. Question: can I dump a fresh batch of wort into a fermenter right after racking off the beer, and leaving the yeast cake? will this work instead of a yeast starter? Please only real answers, no BS. Thankyou in advance.:mug:

Yes, you can. You'd be better off only re-pitching a portion of the yeast cake though. Mr. Malty will tell you how much slurry you should re-pitch.

I am a person who has a hard time getting around, any shortcut is worth taking. Question: can I dump a fresh batch of wort into a fermenter right after racking off the beer, and leaving the yeast cake? will this work instead of a yeast starter? Please only real answers, no BS. Thankyou in advance.:mug:

Yes...but in addition to overpitching, try and watch your temperatures, try and have the wort on the cooler end of the recomended range...otherwise the heat of fermentation might lead to rapid hot beer volcano w/ all that fresh yeast...cheers!

Yes...but in addition to overpitching, try and watch your temperatures, try and have the wort on the cooler end of the recomended range...otherwise the heat of fermentation might lead to rapid hot beer volcano w/ all that fresh yeast...cheers!

Shhhhh. You're not supposed to tell him about the yeast volcano ;)

Thankyou all. I will cut the yeast cake down to about a third???? I am currently brewing at 47 deg F, I know, it's kinda low but I bought a fridge for $15 and that's were it likes to be. I normally have an OG of about 1.045-1.050. I'm using Wyeast Urquell yeast but can't keep spending $6 every batch for yeast.

Thankyou all. I will cut the yeast cake down to about a third???? I am currently brewing at 47 deg F, I know, it's kinda low but I bought a fridge for $15 and that's were it likes to be. I normally have an OG of about 1.045-1.050. I'm using Wyeast Urquell yeast but can't keep spending $6 every batch for yeast.

A third is correct for an Ale. For a lager I would use half.

Also, a temp controller is worth the $80 investment if you are making a lot of lagers.

Dave

Ah yes, the yeast volcano. This was posted in another thread earlier today.

here's what I woke up to this morning.

IMG_0757.JPG

Back