Dumped my first batch !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
50+ batches, and this one for some reason I had to dump.
That actually hurt... :(
Blue Moon Clone... eBIAB rig...10 gal :(

Worst part is i'm not even sure what happened.
Ruled out infections, two batches since were fine, was hoping it would fade in time... nope.
but had a very strong bitter sour after taste... I'm thinking either the Orange peel, no white parts, or the Coriander...

will try again without those two and see how it comes out.....

Hey, it happens. If you’re not dumping beer every once in a while, you’re not progressing. Learn from mistakes.

I just dumped a full keg of IPA, sucked but I figured i don’t like a certain yeast & it fermented too warm.

Dumped batches... yeah, been there, done that.
Mostly from inexperience starting out or mucking up the pH of my mash water a few times using a bit much lactic acid. I'm no fan of sour beer, but the miniature rose bushes seemed to like it.

it's freeing to dump bad beer. It will help you dump the average beer too! I brewed a ton this year about 30 batches trying to be heavily involved in the competition circuit in florida and I got a string of 3 pretty meh beers nothing glaringly bad but nothing I wanted to drink 5 gallons of so into the garden they went. 10 gallons is more painful financially but I also think of the calorie currency of consuming just average or bad beer.

It's going to happen at some point. Something you don't anticipate in spite of the purity and rigorousness of the process gets in there. I had the same off-flavor in 3 consecutive brews of different styles despite all manner of tweaks to abate it, with no success. I couldn't serve it to others, and I could barely tolerate it myself after going through about a case of each. I eventually ended up dumping 75 bottles (approx. 25 per batch) down the drain. Saddest part was, I never did find out exactly what caused the off-flavor. Many batches later, it has not been a problem.

It's going to happen at some point. Something you don't anticipate in spite of the purity and rigorousness of the process gets in there. I had the same off-flavor in 3 consecutive brews of different styles despite all manner of tweaks to abate it, with no success. I couldn't serve it to others, and I could barely tolerate it myself after going through about a case of each. I eventually ended up dumping 75 bottles (approx. 25 per batch) down the drain. Saddest part was, I never did find out exactly what caused the off-flavor. Many batches later, it has not been a problem.

yeah thats what kinda bothers me, what is causing that sour bitter after taste... only the Orange or Coriander is what i can come up with...

I also dump beer I don't like enough to drink an entire keg of in a reasonable timeframe. If I need space in my keezer and it's been in there for a few months it gets sacrificed. Freeing indeed!

IMG_1709.jpg

I also dump beer I don't like enough to drink an entire keg of in a reasonable timeframe. If I need space in my keezer and it's been in there for a few months it gets sacrificed. Freeing indeed!

mine went onto the lawn... about 8 gal worth... sigh...

I haven't had to yet, but I've got an oak aging stout that I suspect may be turning into a gusher. I have it in a corny and it's pegging out the 15 psi guage on my spunding valve every 12 hours. This started about 10 days ago, 3 months into aging. I'm going to sample this weekend to see if there's flavor issues. At this point, I'm scared to bottle it.

I haven't had to yet, but I've got an oak aging stout that I suspect may be turning into a gusher. I have it in a corny and it's pegging out the 15 psi guage on my spunding valve every 12 hours. This started about 10 days ago, 3 months into aging. I'm going to sample this weekend to see if there's flavor issues. At this point, I'm scared to bottle it.

wow, that seems really high...

Instead of dumping, have you considered cooking with it? Belgian pot roast, for example, needs a long marinate in beer... sausages cooked in beer are very tasty... beer batter for fish...

This assumes, of course, the beer isn't infected -- just not tasty...

Instead of dumping, have you considered cooking with it? Belgian pot roast, for example, needs a long marinate in beer... sausages cooked in beer are very tasty... beer batter for fish...

This assumes, of course, the beer isn't infected -- just not tasty...

I thought about it, but with the sour/bitter aftertaste... not sure I would want to...

Just did my first dump last week! A few months ago I had been working like crazy and ended up with no homebrew left, so I did a quick pale ale with Idaho 7. Got lazy with some processes and didn't prepare a starter for the yeast. Took 4 days to start fermenting and the stressed yeast gave off a wonderful burnt rubber aroma, mixed with great hops. I couldn't take it anymore and said goodbye to it.

That kicked my butt to make the time to do it right the first time. The 3 brews I have made since are all awesome.

Just did my first dump last week! A few months ago I had been working like crazy and ended up with no homebrew left, so I did a quick pale ale with Idaho 7. Got lazy with some processes and didn't prepare a starter for the yeast. Took 4 days to start fermenting and the stressed yeast gave off a wonderful burnt rubber aroma, mixed with great hops. I couldn't take it anymore and said goodbye to it.

That kicked my butt to make the time to do it right the first time. The 3 brews I have made since are all awesome.

I do feel your pain! I rushed a beer one time, a decent 5 gallon ipa biab and guess what! It had dyceatyl in it or have ever you spell it!

I can't remember his name right now but the head brewer of Avery brewery says only great brewers dump beer

I also just tried an expiremental batch and it's going down the drain...jands down the worst beer I've ever had..whoops

What orange peel did you use? This worked perfectly, in mine:

61W58vWQooL._SY679_.jpg

The key is to use a sweet orange peel, not bitter.

The yeast for Blue Moon is S05, so that might be another factor.

The only other thing I can think of is a hops problem.

Hope this helps for next time....

What orange peel did you use? This worked perfectly, in mine:

61W58vWQooL._SY679_.jpg

The key is to use a sweet orange peel, not bitter.

The yeast for Blue Moon is S05, so that might be another factor.

The only other thing I can think of is a hops problem.

Hope this helps for next time....

I used real Orange peel...only the orange part...no white pith...

I used 3944 witebeer yeast it's exact recipe on this site...

I can't remember his name right now but the head brewer of Avery brewery says only great brewers dump beer

I also just tried an expiremental batch and it's going down the drain...jands down the worst beer I've ever had..whoops

I've had some that were ok...but this was literally terrible...1st time :(

orange peel is not the bitter.in fermentation it tastes like orange juice.

corriander probably balances out.:eek:nestar:

a pinch more of sugar and yeast maybe?brew right away in fridge without fermenting for 14 days warm first?

Blue Moon was originally made with S05 and Valencia Orange peel, according to the guy who developed it.

@wyowolf: check out this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65328

My advice is to rely on Wayne1's posts. His comments begin on page 1 of the thread, where he gives the ratios etc. Somewhere in the thread, he tweaks the spices just a bit and recommends S05 as the yeast to use.

He stresses throughout that this is an all-American take on the Belgian wit, using noble hops; grains and yeast should be American. He also stresses that orange peel is Valencia and coriander is ground.

If you want to brew the original Blue Moon, this is it.

I scaled his final advice into a 1-gallon batch, and it was perfect. If you want to give it a shot, let me know.

@wyowolf: check out this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65328

My advice is to rely on Wayne1's posts. His comments begin on page 1 of the thread, where he gives the ratios etc. Somewhere in the thread, he tweaks the spices just a bit and recommends S05 as the yeast to use.

He stresses throughout that this is an all-American take on the Belgian wit, using noble hops; grains and yeast should be American. He also stresses that orange peel is Valencia and coriander is ground.

If you want to brew the original Blue Moon, this is it.

I scaled his final advice into a 1-gallon batch, and it was perfect. If you want to give it a shot, let me know.

yeah I saw that thread too... i may go that route... will try to 05 for sure and see the differences...
not sure if i want to add the OP or Cor... scared... lol.

No worries, I promise. Just stick to the ratio - maybe be a little conservative with your measurements, and it will be fine.

But seriously, pick up some of the McCormick stuff. It is tried and proven. You can always "improve, improvise or twiddle with the knobs" in future brews, but you need a tried and true baseline to start with, right?

No worries, I promise. Just stick to the ratio - maybe be a little conservative with your measurements, and it will be fine.

But seriously, pick up some of the McCormick stuff. It is tried and proven. You can always "improve, improvise or twiddle with the knobs" in future brews, but you need a tried and true baseline to start with, right?

probably wouldnt hurt, will search amazon for it.

I also think I am going to split it and use the 05 on one and the 3944 on the other to see the differences in the yeast.

@wyowolf - if you are set up for 1-gallon brewing, this is what I did, with very good results:

Blauer Mond
Inspired by Wayne1's Original Recipe for Blue Moon

1 gallon

OG - 1.053
FG - 1.012
ABV - 5.43%
IBUs - 14.16
SRM - 4.17

Fermentables

American Pale 2-Row Malt - 1 lb.
American White Wheat - 0.8 lb.
Flaked Oats - 0.2 lb.
Rice Hulls - 0.1 lb. (optional)

Mash @ 154 degrees for 60 minutes

60-Minute Boil

Hops

Hallertau Mittelfruh (2.6 AA) - .3 oz. at 40 minutes

Other Ingredients

Ground Coriander - 0.14 oz. @ 10 minutes
Ground, Dried Valencia Orange Peel - .2 oz. @ 5 minutes

Yeast - SafAle S-05

Notes - Don’t mess with the basic recipe - it works! If you’re looking for a beautiful straight-up beer with some awesome character, this is it.
If you need to convert it to 5 or 10 gallons, round DOWN when doing the spices, and maybe check your numbers on that main Blue Moon thread.

Hope this helps - if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I can try to answer. This beer is awesome and deserves an honest try.

vvG2crV.jpg

@wyowolf - if you are set up for 1-gallon brewing, this is what I did, with very good results:

If you need to convert it to 5 or 10 gallons, round DOWN when doing the spices, and maybe check your numbers on that main Blue Moon thread.

Hope this helps - if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I can try to answer. This beer is awesome and deserves an honest try.

vvG2crV.jpg

thank you, will plug that in to beersmith for 10 gal

Latest posts

Back