Dumb question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
How exactly do you make lite beer? Even tho the sugar ferments , does it still have same calories?

Are lite beers low in ABV? I had a miller lite once when I was 19 (11 yrs ago)...

'Lite' beers have less alcohol. That's how they have less calories.

Less fermentables per gallon of wort -> less alcohol, less residual sugars, and fewer calories (which come from both... though, mostly the alcohol, which there is a lot more of, especially in macro lagers, which don't have much else other than water and CO2 in 'em).

Lite beers typically are brewed and fermented for very high attenuation. So, while they are not high in alcohol, they are high in alcohol relative to the calories, if you know what I mean.

Lite beers typically are brewed and fermented for very high attenuation. So, _________________________ they are high in alcohol relative to the calories, if you know what I mean.

So my 8% Belgians which finish between 1.000 and 1.006 are lite beers. Great; that means I can drink more!

Back