Dumb question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janson745

Reaction score
So lets preface by saying I'm new...

I'm curious, if i backsweten and then bottle carb my cider, will that raise the alcohol content from when I checked the SG-FG? I'm just wondering about the yeast eating up the new sugars...

Yes, the yeast will eat the sugars - its kind of their thing :)

Alcohol is not what you need to worry about - bottle bombs will be the problem.

If you back sweeten with a fermentable sugar, you will need to pasteurize the bottles when they reach proper carbonation. There is a sticky on the forum about pasteurizing under these conditions.

I attempted to stop fermentation in a small batch of wine coolers by just putting them in the refrigerator. All the cold did was slow the yeast down. The last couple bottles (it was a 1.5 gallon batch) were very foamy.

the amount of alcohol generated from the fermentation needed to carb to the standard 2-2.5 volumes will contribute around 0.25% abv on top of what you already had, more or less, going on the standard yet highly challenging '2 gravity points to carb' theorem.
watch them bottle bombs!

Latest posts

Back