Dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
Yesterday I bottled 44 pints of a 5% ABV stout. Of all things I forgot to sanitize the outside of my bottling wand, despite telling myself several times, "don't forget to sanitize the outside of the bottling wand".

While obviously it's a wait and see game... how would you rate my odds?

Should I open a bottle here and there to make sure a bacterial infection hasn't decided to ferment the last 12 points and blow up my bottles? If so, how soon should I open one... tomorrow?

Was it at least washed?

You will likely be just fine, but there still exists a chance. I have gotten away with it before.
Luckily there is alcohol in there and hopefully not enough food for potential bacteria to feast adequately.

You could crack one pint open early, just try not to let it drive you crazy.

I never sanitize by bottling wand. I have brewed many times and my beer has never been affected by it. After I bottle I always clean my equipment with soap and water. I know this does not sanitize it and it is not good sanitary practice but to me this seems very minor and if something ever does happen, that would be the worst case scenario. As with every worst case scenario, it is very rare and may never happen. Your beer is already fermented and has alcohol in it. If you usually have good cleaning habits I wouldn't stress it.

Odds are, you are fine. Don't open the bottles. Let you beer carbonate as usual.

Look at the neck of the bottle where the beer line is. If you have an infection it will make itself present there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep an eye on the beer line in the neck, and pop one if I have any doubts. It was cleaned, so in all likelihood I'm ok.

Look at the neck of the bottle where the beer line is. If you have an infection it will make itself present there.

That is a pretty cool principle to have around.

Have you experienced the presence of infection there before?

That is a pretty cool principle to have around.

Have you experienced the presence of infection there before?

Unfortunately yes. That's how I usually judge if my beer is clean during bottle conditioning. Let me just add on that there may be an infection even if you don't see the ring around the bottle neck, but I haven't encountered one. Cheers!

Back