Dubbel the Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster12

Reaction score
So my wife and I were recently surprised to find out that she was pregnant.. Our first. We went to have a sonogram/ultrasound the other day and found not one but two babies nestled inside of there!! Huge surprise!! Needless to say, I decided it would be super appropriate to brew a Belgian dubbel to celebrate the event. Due date is August so I'm hoping to brew it soon to really let it age well before then. Any suggestions would be great but here is what I have so far...

10 lbs Belgian pils
1 lb Special B
1 lb Homemade amber candy syrup

1 oz kent goldings at 60 min.

Harvested yeast from Ommegang Abbey

OG- 1.070ish
FG- 1.015ish
IBU- 20-25

The day is finally upon us! Both boys are healthy and at last weigh in were over 7 lbs! Pretty big for twins. Wife heads into surgery at noon so starting to get anxious... As far as the beer goes, I brewed it in January with two malts, two water sources, two hops, two sugars, two kinds of figs, and two different yeasts were harvested for it. Bottled in march after 4 weeks in primary and two weeks in secondary with additional figs. Got a 6 pack in the fridge waiting to celebrate and a whole bunch of bombers to age over the next 21 years!

Sweet, congrats on your twins! And your beer. I bet life will become really busy.

I'd be interested in which yeasts you used, and how the figs in secondary turned out. I've only made 1 Dubbel. I used Westmalle yeast, 1/2 lb Special B, and 1 lb of D2 syrup. So far I'm getting alot of nice raisin notes. I need to try another yeast strain next time.

Back