Dubbel fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I would like to do a dubbel for my next batch. I have been researching recipes. Most recipes say to ferment 1-2 weeks at 68F and then secondary for another couple of weeks at 40F.
The cold conditioning temp is what is holding me back. I don't have a way to do it. How necessary is it?
Another question is should I pitch more yeast at bottling? I have read some brewers do it, but don't know of their techniques. Is it necessary? Same yeast or different yeast than primary?

In my opinion, cold conditioning for strong Belgians is unnecessary, especially if you don't have the capacity for it. Extended bulk aging may have some benefits, but you'll still end up with good beer if you bottle directly after primary fermentation. Even better beer (usually) if you're able to build up the patience and let the bottles age a few months.

As far as adding yeast at bottling, I usually do if I age a strong (somewhere north of 7% abv) beer for an extended amount of time (8ish+ weeks). Most people will say it's just an added step and not needed (in most instances they'll be correct), but I had a Tripel never carbonate that I didn't add yeast at bottling after aging in secondary for 6 months, so I usually just err on the side of caution and pitch a small, decanted starter into my bottling bucket while racking over from primary for my big beers. If you do decide to pitch yeast at bottling, use the same strain if possible.

Back