Drying out a saison w/ 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel80

Reaction score
So I have a saison that I brewed with the infamous Dupont Wyeast 3724. It's stalled at 1.015. I was really hoping to get it below 1.010. I mashed at 147 so it should be perfectly capable of getting down that low. I have a washed jar of 1056 in the fridge. If i make a small starter to wake it up and toss it in at high krausen, will it take it down a few more points before I bottle?

How long at 1.015? What temp are you fermenting at?
Since most of the character of the beer is formed in the earlier stages of fermentation, 1056 to dry it out would likely be fine, but letting the 3724 finish would work too.
You might try to warm it up to 75-80.

I'd dry it out with 3711 not 1056.

I usually do my saison with 3724 and add 3711 a few days into fermentation to ensure a completely dry fermentation.

I'd warm it up for a few days, 3724 loves high temps
What he said.

I'm fermenting a Belgian saison right now, been in the primary for over two weeks. I have it sitting on a heat pad to keep the temp at 85+ degrees that I ramped up. this is my second saison using 3724. First time mine stalled at 1.030, so I stuck the primary in my garage to warm it up. Fermentation resumed. Takes a while.

I raised it to 80 for a week and still nothing. I've heard that sometimes when it poops out, it's just done. I know 3711 would be better, but I have 1056 in the house. It tastes awesome, it could just stand to be a little drier. I wonder how low the 1056 will take it?

3724 is notorious for stalling out. It needs temp and time to finish its job. If you're looking to dry it out quickly you'll have better results with 3711 than 1056. What was your OG?

Adding a second strain after fermentation has started should be a last resort imo. Time and temp are the keys to 3724.

I like to add 3711 to 3724 from the get go to avoid any stalls.

I havent done it yet but I have been thinking about trying to use some amylase enzyme in the fermenter to see if it will break down some of the long chain sugars that are left over.

Adding a second strain after fermentation has started should be a last resort imo. Time and temp are the keys to 3724.

I like to add 3711 to 3724 from the get go to avoid any stalls.

Same here. I actually prefer the complexity of the 2 together versus each one individually.

Back