Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Today I am brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, which calls for Notty yeast. I have not used dry yeast in one of my beers for a few years now, but I have helped my friend brew his first two batches using dry yeast. I have been using washed wl001, but the ease of dry yeast is really becoming attractive to me. If my experience with dry is as nice as it has been with my friends last two brews, I might have to make the switch back

I use dry for about 90% of the time. Since most of what I brew require only a clean fermenting ale yeast. I use liquid for any beers that are more yeast driven like Belgians, where the yeast contributes to the final flavor.

Yeast is a tool, like all tools you have general purpose ones and specialized ones. You usually grab your flat or phillips head screwdriver on a job more than you may grab your torque wrench.

They're all important.

I'm fan of it for sure. I use Nottingham for my clean ales, so4 and Windsor for English ales, or even Nottingam at 66 or so for British ales. Best thing about Nottingham is the way it floccs out after fermentation.

I use dry for about 90% of the time. Since most of what I brew require only a clean fermenting ale yeast. I use liquid for any beers that are more yeast driven like Belgians, where the yeast contributes to the final flavor.

Yeast is a tool, like all tools you have general purpose ones and specialized ones. You usually grab your flat or phillips head screwdriver on a job more than you may grab your torque wrench.

They're all important.

I usually brew clean ales too, so I think it makes sense for me to use dry.

Same here. I've been using a lot of k97 and s189 lately. Those are probably my 2 favorite dry strains.

Echo remarks above - dry yeast is so much superior to what it was in the past. I use it exclusively.

Cheers!

If I want something clean I use 1272 or 1007. I've found them to have a more pleasant taste than us05, notty, and other dry I've tried etc...

DannPM said:
If I want something clean I use 1272 or 1007. I've found them to have a more pleasant taste than us05, notty, and other dry I've tried etc...

1007=k97 they taste exactly the same

Give it a try if you like 1007. Its only $2.50 a pack at brewbrothers.biz I get the saflager s189 there too

So I finally got to try the blonde with Notty. Wow, is it fantastic. It is probably one of the best beers I have made in a long time, and the yeast profile is very subdued which is what I prefer. I am officially a dry yeast convert.

Back